Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in 1.5 oz Tins at 4Noggins.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
In the past, I've been asked by several forum members to let them know when the 1.5 oz. tins of EGR will be on sale. I learned yesterday that 4Noggins now has them in stock at $6.09 a tin. I don't know when other vendors will be carrying them, but I'm told several will.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good news indeed, although I suspect after trying my first bowl, that the tins will not be sufficient and I'll just buy the tubs.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Smoking Pipes is now carrying EGR in tins at $8.73, although 4Noggins is selling it for $6.09.

http://www.4noggins.com/sutliff-edward-g-robinsons-pipe-blend-1.5-oz.aspx

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
What does this taste like? Aromatic? Nicotine strength? Wouldn't mind a little review...

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bryanf: Here's my review that I posted at TobaccoReviews.com:
I'm surprised at the reviewers who say this blend bites their tongues. It doesn't do that to me or the friends I shared a sample with from a newly opened tub. If you're a fast puffer, I guess darn near anything will cause tongue bite. But EGR doesn't if you go at a normal pace (same goes for most tobaccos). As for it having a flat taste, well, nobody I know who has actually smoked it thinks that. Either it was smoked bone dry, or the smoke never entered the mouth of the reviewer. And not liking it, as a later reviewer (7-22-2013) doesn't because he prefers English blends, is an unfair comparison of genres, and one of the reasons some people don't take reviews seriously.
I greatly enjoy the strong aroma of the freshly open tub, which was the wine casing. The room note is pleasant, and passes the wife test. The taste is mildly sweet, but not coyingly so. I barely notice what latakia is here, so I suppose it's just a light condiment to give it a slight "oompf." The cavendish is not strong, but I taste a little sweetness from it, and I can see it in the tub, even though some claim there's none there. There's too many black pieces in here not to have some cavendish, because there's no chance all those black pieces are latakia or this would have a more smokey quality that latakia provides, and it doesn't. I get the burley taste fairly well, and notice just a little Virginia. I also notice a plum note or two that reminds me of MacBaren's Plumcake in a minor way as well as a light honey note. Burns well and evenly, and has a little nic kick to it. No goop.
It is indeed a mild aro with a very pleasing taste. It's not a great, all-time classic tobacco, but it certainly doesn't deserve the one star ratings some "reviewers" have given it. It might be a little of an acquired taste to some, but I have come to enjoy it quite a bit, and find it quite addictive. For me, it was enjoyment at first puff. When I'm not smoking it, I occasionally am thinking I need a smoke a bowl. Why it's virtually unknown today is puzzling as it is still in production. But Robinson himself is largely forgotten today, so why not his tobacco, too, in this day of "only NOW counts?" One online retailer told me that he wasn't going to carry it because of the negative reviews here. I suppose I can't blame him, though I gave him my opinion, and suggested he give it a try. Okay, it's not a nirvana smoke - what is, really? - but it's on par with several other OTCs: better than some, worse than others, depending on your palate. I'm going to keep this around because I like it.
9-1-2013 Edit: That retailer I mentioned changed his mind soon after I posted this review and is one of several who now carry EGR. Sutliff is soon to release this blend in 1.5 oz. tins, and I was privileged to get an early sample at the same time I was gifted a two ounce sample of 1960s EGR. I was happy to discover the taste of the new blend is a virtual dead ringer for the old, except the newer was slightly sweeter with a honey note the old didn't have, though the aging process may have caused it to disappear.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice review, and a good reminder for those of us who haven't tasted it in years.

Funny thing, you like Edward G, Robinson, and he kinda looks like you! :lol:

sutliffedwardrobinson.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cortez: I'm much handsomer than Eddie G., see. Ya better watch whatcha say, or Mugsy and Slats'll pay ya a visit, see. Den it'll be curtains for ya when da boys shoot ya with their curtain rods, see. Myeah!
In the meantime, why don't you have a cup of coffee, ya mug! Myeah!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSGlrXdORM8

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for the review Jim. I've never had EGR but will definitely put it on my next order from Rich.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
I love that they're giving away a history book as an incentive to buy coffee. Nowadays people would avoid that offer in fear that they might actually learn something factual, then Maxwell House would be sued for trying to promote Patriotism and discrimination against immigrants.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Haha that would be ironic, as Edward G (birth name Emanuel Goldenberg) was a Jewish immigrant from Romania. Unlike his close friends Jewish European-born actors Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre, Robinson came to the US as a child therefore he spoke English without an accent. OT however...I'm a bit surprised to see this tobacco blend still exists 40 years after his death, let alone being sold alongside high-end blends. When I started smoking a pipe 40 years ago Edward G's was a drugstore blend that no tobacconist would think of stocking. I think I probably tried it, being a fan of Eddie, but I really don't remember it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There was a time period when EGR was not being made, though I don't know how long that lasted. I know I never saw it for sale when I started pipe smoking in the 1970s, or I'd have tried it then. I think it compares very favorably with many other OTCs, and your mileage will vary depending on your flavor profile. But it's not a cheap product, and certainly burns cooler than a lot of OTCs I have tried. For that matter, I don't even know that I would classify this or a number of OTCs as OTCs anymore, given how few products are actually sold outside of B&Ms and the internet. But, I know I enjoy smoking EGR (and many other blends).

Status
Not open for further replies.