PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was wondering if anyone besides me has smoked or smokes this blend? Pretty decent stuff for an OTC mild aro. I just wrote a review at Tobacco Reviews, because I was annoyed by some of the reviews there. Frankly, I don't believe some of those "reviewers" actually ever smoked it; a few seem to sort-of copy each other. I know a couple of online retailers carry it, but I was hoping some place like P&C or 4Noggins, who offer a discount and free shipping, would, too. One place I contacted was reluctant because he's never had a request for it and was put off by some of the reviews. I know I probably seem biased toward it, considering who my avatar is, but I only recently started smoking it, and I do like it, regardless of my fondness for EGR the actor. Anyway, just wanted to vent a little and see if anyone besides me ever smoked it - besides Shelby Foote and EGR, I mean.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I may have a large opened can of this stuff laying around. Let me see if it is still any good. If it is I will send it to you.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Kcghost: Thank you. If you do find it, give it a smoke and let me know what you think.
What bugged me is that there are a few "reviews" in a row there that are obvious to me that those people probably never smoked the stuff. I, like a number of other people, believe there are posters at TR who are interested in just jacking up their review count, and I think EGR Blend suffered some because of it. Two particular reviewers who said it bites, and has a flat taste could not have possibly ever smoked it. I probably seem biased because I'm obviously an EGR fan, but no matter how much I liked the actor, if the tobacco was bad, I'd say so. It's not a great tobacco, but it's a decent mixture that has a nice, light sweet aro taste. It doesn't bite, no goop. Even if you don't like the taste - and we all have our own various preferences in that arena - "flat" is the one thing nobody who ever smoked it could honestly say. Sorry to keep going on about this, but it's those kind of reviews that I feel are dishonest and cause not only potential smokers to shy away, but retailers, too. I don't love this tobacco myself, but I do like it, and if I thought those few in a row one star reviews were honest, I'd not say one word. Well, we've seen it happen with other blends at that site and others, but it's not a subject that gets discussed too often. I thought I would do so to get it out of my system to anyone who might care to read my opinion, which may or may not carry any weight with whomever is reading this.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I haven't tried the EGR blend (yet) but have to add to your excellent comments regarding negative reviews that show up on tobaccoreviews.com

It's frustrating to read that reviewers don't like a particular tobacco even though they frequently mention they don't typically like that type of blend, e.g. aromatics or latakia blends.

Glad to hear you like EGR - ignore the bad reviews and smoke what you like!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Drrock: As I mentioned earlier, if you read the reviews, there are several in a row that sort-of mimic each other. It's obvious to me that they probably never even smoked EGR. That's what gets me. These "reviewers" cast a bad light on something for little reason except to perhaps drive up their review count. And in giving unfair reviews, retailers and prospective smokers shy away from a blend they might have otherwise taken a chance on. The retailer I was talking to earlier today believes it's a bad blend because of what he read there. I said I was willing to buy two or three tubs so that I would have it handy for the future. Maybe he'll rethink his position? I don't know. But he'd never heard of the blend until I discussed it with him, and he felt that since nobody's ever asked him for it, it must not be good. Well, sitting in his shoes and seeing it his way, I can understand why he might have a negative opinion. But, would he if he was reading honest reviews? I can't say for sure, but the possible likelihood is that he might have given it a chance. I used to run a retail shop, so I understand the problems on his end. However, he carries many OTCs, including the infamous Mixture 79, and EGR, while it's not a great tobacco blend, is certainly better than some of what is being carried. Based on that, I'd like to see it given a chance.
Why am I making a big deal out of it, besides the obvious reasons? It'd be nice to buy something I like from a businessman I respect, and get a discount at the same time, which is very important in these times. Pipestud only gave it two stars (I gave it three), but he gave honest reasons for his opinion, which we can all respect, whether we agree or disagree with him. Everybody wants to read reviews by someone who gave the tobacco a fair chance, no matter the final opinion. And in this case, that was hampered by people who don't realize or care about the effects of what they do.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rothnh: I'm in total agreement with you. I also get fried by the morons (one of which posted a negative review on EGR) based on three minutes of smoking, decide they know everything there is to know about the blend and how it smokes from top to bottom and from smoke to smoke.
I saw that McClelland reviewer you mentioned. I believe there's been a MacBaren one, too. They haven't smoked all that. If I was in charge of the site, I'd consider deleting them, though I suppose it'd be seen as censorship and/or restriction of free speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.