PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I just cracked my first tin tonight and am nearly finished with my second bowl. I just wanted to say this is a great, and underrated tobacco, in my opinion. Light, nutty and sweet, but with some real tobacco flavor, I can see myself smoking a lot of this in the future. Burns down to the bottom with no bite, and the wife even complimented the room note. I'm really enjoying this and some other old fashioned blends (just about finished working my way through C&D's interpretation of Revelation and liking that as well). I just wanted to give this blend some forum-love, and encourage anyone who likes a lightly aromatic tobacco to give this a try!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I recently tried this through the box pass, and have to say it was the "sleeper" hit for me out of all the other blends I tried. I'm not usually one for aromatics, but I really enjoyed it.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I was surprised to see how dry it was in the tin - the word "aromatic" conjures images of goopy, cavendish based blends. This is more like an old fashioned American burley with a sprinkle of latakia and a very light topping. It's the furthest thing from a goopy aromatic, and seems very old-fashioned American blend (in a good way).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks let me sample some Edward G. at the TAPS pipe show and I thought it was excellent. I smoke mostly

non-aro but find this a nice change of pace. I have a tin waiting to be opened. Reserving it while I enjoy a

variety of already-opened blends. Edward G. seems to be an aromatic that appeals to experienced pipe smokers

as well as newcomers. It is tobacco forward but also pleasantly flavored. An interesting and civilized smoke.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here is my review of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend as originally posted on TobaccoReviews.com on July 14, 2005:
"Now look you mugs, this is a good blend, see? Yeah...it's good, a mild smoke, see? (Sorry about that...I must have been channeling).
"I do like this blend! To my nose it is reminiscent of good coffee with cream, spiked ever so lightly with burbon. How anyone could inhale its aroma and think "grape juice" is quite beyond me.
"The cut of this blend is just a wee bit shorter than that found in most Cavendishes, and it packs well. Savored slowly, it does not bite (at least I've never experienced this problem with it). Like most cased blends it benefits from some drying prior to smoking. I do not find that the casing (whatever it may be) coats my tongue. The tobacco burns cleanly to a light gray ash, and leaves little dottle.
"Mr. Robinson may have had a tough-guy image on the big screen, but his namesake tobacco is one pleasant pussycat. Highly recommended!"
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

Status
Not open for further replies.