PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Last week I emailed Sutliffe re EGR because of the discussions here. The marketing rep told me a sample would be forthcoming. Well, 4 days later I received a box via UPS with 3 1.5oz pouches of EGR. Very generous, indeed.

The quickness of the shipment tells me that Sutliffe is serious about their businesss and that's a very good thing for us.

I grabbed my old Savory's Semi-Matte billiard and loaded up. The tobacco is on the damp side but took a light easily. The pouch note struck me a a bit on the sweet side but not cloying in any way. "Old Timey"? I guess so but I can't say it reminds me of any particular blend from the past-and I've smoked most of them over the past 40+ years.

Taste is a funny thing and specific to each individual. For me I get the sense of toasted marshmallow but not in a heavy way.

My blend choices have been latakia heavy in the past but I find myself gravitating to blends like EGR over the past year or so. In the past 2 weeks I've been smokng Sutliife's Man's Best Friend and CD Blend as well. They seem to have a real handle on mimicing the style of blends available in the '40's and '50's which is pretty cool in my book.

For something different from English style blends EGR is a nice change of pace. It'd be an excellent starting point for a new pipe smoker as well.

Thanks, jiminks for your personal crusade on behalf of this blend. I am in your debt.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That's just great! Three pouches!!! Love the label!
I'm so glad it worked out for you and that you like it!

thuber88

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2013
It is certainly nice when a fine tobacco can find a new audience and a well deserved return to the market.

Congratulations to Sutliffe on doing a fine job for us smokers on this great tobacco :)

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm glad to hear your enjoyed it! I can't wait for the tins so I can finally try it!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Papipeguy: giving a pouch to the B&M guy was a really cool thing to do. Hope it has a good effect on interest.
Teddy: How many years have you been smoking EGR?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Papipeguy: + a few dozen times, man! Lots of that going on in the pipe world sure makes it a fun place to be!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There's no release date for the 1.5 ounce tins yet, but I kinda think they'll do it before too much time passes. The 12 oz. tubs are still available.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I emailed my desire to see the small tins so that I can try before investing in a tub, it sounds like it's right up my alley. Unfortunately no love for the Canadian BOTL, no samples are forthcoming, just an email saying that they are working on getting the tins ready asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.