PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2018
Just got some EGR in from smoking pipes.com. It's an old man blend from the 50s but I gotta tell you girls and boys it is very tasty. It's burley based with a touch of latika. It's an easy smoke with some mild fruit overtones. A very pleasant smoke. My wife says it smells musty and I told her that's what latika smells like. This is an ideal latika blend for me because I don't like blends heavy on the stuff. A little bit o' latika goes a ways for me. I wanted to spread the word on this EGR because I don't think it's a very popular one. I almost missed it myself. Happy smoking from Downeast.

Reactions: anotherbob

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks to JimInks I too love this tobacco. Based on his recommendation I ordered a tin and absolutely love this tobacco. This is finding it’s way into my tobacco cellar.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It sells decently well. It was going to be discontinued a few years back, and I started an internet campaign to save it, which proved successful. It was worth the work because I get to continue to smoke it and a fair amount of people have it in their rotations to one extent or another. I even got Sutliff to sell in it tins so people who wanted to try it wouldn't be scared off by the tub price. Sutliff was kind enough to gift me the first tin off the production line, and I wrote the tin description. I'm very proud of my role in it, but without all the people who joined in to voice their support to Sutliff, it'd have never happened.
Btw, Robinson himself supervised the creation of the blend, which was launched in 1946. It has quite a history.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
JimInks, you have done the blend proud and I for one am very happy that you were at the forefront of the revival of this blend.

Reactions: JimInks

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I just got my first tin of EGR a few weeks ago and have been delighted with every bowl so far. I was a bit dubious about how the fruit and Latakia would play together. It turns out they get along amazingly well. I have come to think of fruit topping as kids stuff, the Jerry Lewis of flavors. (no offense, I might figure him out someday, too) What the Latakia does is take the fruit by the collar with his left hand while giving it a stiff slap across the mouth with the right. "Straighten up, kid. Quit goofing around."

In turn, the fruit discreetly slips a silk glove on that same hand, mellowing the brute. "Relax a little, chief."

Anyways, just my humble opinion I suppose. I'm no expert on this stuff by any means. I do feel I owe JimInks a thank you for his work in preserving this blend. I have had a number of disappointments in trying new blends. EGR has been a really nice surprise.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I bought a tin at a B&M a couple weeks ago. It’s an enjoyable mild aro that burns well right from the tin and without much goop in my pipe. The flavoring is hard to describe.
The Latakia component in this reminds me that in recent weeks, I’ve been trying something that Fred Hanna recommended in his book, The Perfect Smoke, to blend fruity aromatics 50:50 with Latakia. Pretty tasty. I’ve tried it with Stokkebye Black Currant and Gawith Hoggarth Top Black Cherry. Both were winners in my book.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've always enjoyed it. It is hard to describe, but it really is a pleasing mixture that somehow harmoniously encompasses a nutty, slightly sweet, dark fruit (plum), and mild smoky flavor. It burns clean and cool, and has great body to it. There's a reason why JimInks advocated for it's availability, and it's not because it isn't a good smoke. The guy has a palate that knows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some people have a birth year pipe. Now I find I have a birth year blend. I first smoked a sample at the TAPS pipe show where jiminks was distributing samples and selling tins. I have a tin on hand and will open it with ceremony -- maybe on my birthday. Great stuff, an American classic. Thanks for saving this legacy blend, jiminks.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thank you for the kind words, MSO, Mothernature, Wallace, and Snoopy. It's a great feeling to know that something you do helps others.

Reactions: anotherbob

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I've been smoking Edward G. Robinson Blend since the mid-1960s. It has remained in my rotation all those years. And, like mso, it is a "birth-year" blend. I still have a couple packets of the blend from the 70s, and the recent tobacco is, to my taste, almost exactly the same. I, too, want to thank Jim for being the champion of this modest but truly satisfying blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks Dino, and I salute your long, awesome history with EGR. You may have the forum record for longest active service to the EGR blend. As our man would have said, "Dat's good, see. Myeah!" :D

Reactions: dino

oldmike

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
I have no way of contacting jiminks directly but I am eternally grateful for keeping EGR available. I absolutely loves this stuff! I am a CH fan and EGR is a stablemate from this point on. It can be an all day smoke. Got a little steep price wise since my greedy new Gov (Ohio) put a pretty big excise tax on pipe tobacco. Jiminks I thank you from the bottom of my bowl.
Semper Fi
Mike

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, read Jimink’s reviews and bought a tub to try. Never looked back, it’s been in my rotation since. Love the stuff and it’s such an easy blend to smoke too. Added bonus, the missus actually comments on the room note being very pleasant to her and she likes it better than just about any other tobacco, which is funny since she tolerates but doesn’t love Latakia. Bonus!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have no way of contacting jiminks directly but I am eternally grateful for keeping EGR available. I absolutely loves this stuff! I am a CH fan and EGR is a stablemate from this point on. It can be an all day smoke. Got a little steep price wise since my greedy new Gov (Ohio) put a pretty big excise tax on pipe tobacco. Jiminks I thank you from the bottom of my bowl.
Semper Fi
Mike

You just did contact me! :) I thank you for the compliment.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.