Edward Curtis: American Photographer Of Native Indians.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've never heard of this chap but his photography is quite exquisite not only in its subject matter but the composition of each picture.
Anyone with $1,000,000 to spare could own his complete works......
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-45843072/edward-curtis-was-this-the-most-ambitious-photo-project-ever
Regards,
Jay.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
54ac1e13a1b876833c04454fb4d57f14.jpg

Some very cool pictures in there. What a body of work!

Jan 8, 2013
Or you can buy a book with his photography for under $20.00. :nana: https://www.amazon.com/Native-Nations-Americans-Edward-Curtis/dp/0821220527/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1539531149&sr=1-6&keywords=Edward+Curtis
I just started watching "Hostiles", good timing!
It's a good movie. And I think I'll watch it today as well.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bought these from Cardozo Galleries a couple years back after reading a book about Curtis, they are called Mini books and feature pictures that most people have not seen. Figured my Grandson who is working toward Eagle Scout would be a good project for him, and his grandmothers father was a full bloodied Indian.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a great uncle by marriage, James Willard Schulz, who went to Montana in the 1880's and lived with the Blackfoot and married a Blackfoot with whom he had a son. He tried to return to white culture after he lost his wife, which is when he married my great aunt. He published a number of books for young readers about his life with the Indians, and he petitioned for Native American voters rights. Fascinating guy, really caught between cultures. When young, he helped a young warrior kidnap his true love and went on war parties. Later in life, he would often disappear for months hunting with tribal friends. My aunt married him during a short stint he did as book editor for the Los Angeles Times, I think it was. Later he married a third wife, much younger. I think my aunt was tired of his wandering ways, but on into her nineties she still spoke of him as if he were the love of her life which he probably was. My late wife (I'm remarried) had a grandfather who was half Crow Indian, and both my late wife and her mother had Native American features, high cheekbones and dark hair.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Following on from Anthony's post I looked myself into what was available via Amazon regarding matey's works with an eye to make a purchase to add to my growing American history collection.
Granted there are many books available containing many of his classic photographs but sadly they all appeared to be rather small, rather like Brad's volumes. I think such works should be printed and published in at least folio size merely to do justice to the photographer and his/her work.
My ex girlfriend has two volumes of photographs by Nazi era photographer Leni Riefenstahl, mainly amazing studies of native Africans and they were fully appreciated simply because they were folio volumes. Anything smaller and so much is lost. The many photographers on this forum would appreciate that I think.
Just my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The African photos were Riefenstahl’s transparent attempt to clear her name (and conscience) for her work as propaganist for Hitler. It didn’t change the fact that she was complicit in all the Nazi war crimes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It didn’t change the fact that she was complicit in all the Nazi war crimes."
Absolutely Dan, I would never argue that point. However, her work was of a quality rarely seen then and not too often even now.
As a photographer yourself I'm sure you see that. I was in no way lauding her political allegiances, what she did in that regard is well known and she was rightly reviled for it.
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Absolutely, Jay. Her work was on another level, which only made her her commitment to the Nazi's that much more deplorable. There were lots of third-rate hacks working in the Nazi propaganda machine, but her skills moved minds and killed innocents.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Let's get back to our native Americans (apparently on this side of the Atlantic "indian" can be used only for those from India.) The Curtis photos are amazing, and Longmire gives an update on some current lives on the reservation.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Longmire:

https://www.netflix.com/title/70269479
Update: I finished watching "Hostiles" - that was the best movie I saw in 2018 (and maybe 2017).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M5cj4UmscE

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Good TV series is the new literature....."
TV or cinema will never replace literature......at least not in my home. Yes it has its place but give me a book over a film any day*
*Says he who just bought Shelby Foote's 'Civil War' and Ken Burns' DVD box set of the same :oops:
Regards,
Julian.

Status
Not open for further replies.