PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I am coming up on one month of smoking a pipe and what a fabulous journey so far. Thanks to all of you here and on other sites, like youtube, for making the learning curve so much shorter. The B&M that is closest to me has a nice walk in humidor, small section of pipes and supplies, a wall full of nick nacks and enough hookas and glass pipes, not to mention other things. The nice part about this store is the woman who owns it. She doesn't smoke, but she loves the smell of pipe tobacco. Whenever she is there and I stop by she always offers me a sample of something new. Today's little slice of Heaven was some 4th Generation 1957 and two flakes of MacB's HH Old Dark Fired. I had never tried a flake yet, but thankfully I had already watched a video on some methods of preparation. I bought a brand new unknown Italian briar pipe for thirty bucks just to have a clean pipe to taste the flake. WOW!!!! I will definitely be picking up a tin of this stuff. I being so new do not have a line drawn in the sand between aros and English blends. I must say though I do have a strong appreciation for the English blends, noting that you can't cover up any short comings with casings and top notes. Has anyone else tried and liked this flake and what other reasonably priced flake are your recommendations?

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
My favourite flake is probably Peterson's Irish flake. Beware though, it will sit you on your ass...

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
kris, I am assuming you are referring to the nicotine level, and sitting on my ass is my preferred position to be in when I smoke. Thanks for the recommendation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
craig, glad to hear you enjoyed the ODF, it is one of the finest flakes on the market in my opinion and also one of the best values for a tinned flake. Here is a list of other flakes that you might enjoy. I smoke flakes exclusively and have 28 different ones cellared.
Virginia Flakes:
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, Vintage, Special Brown Flake

Brigham Klondike Gold

Astleys 109 and 44

Dunhill Flake

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake( a bitch to find but probably my favorite)

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Wessex gold Flake

Wesssex Gold Brick

Rotary Navy Cut( a nice topping of Rum)

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Capstan Blue Flake
Virginia/Burley flakes:

Solani Silver Flake

Peterson University Flake and Irish Flake

Esoterica Stonehaven( can be had at small mom and pops in the low tax states)
Virginia/Perique flakes:

Escudo

Solani 633

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dan Tobacco Treasures of Limerick

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Thank you roth for the suggestions. I heard them reference the Erinmore Flake to Juicy Fruit. I think I will give the Dunhill a try next.
Harris, would you mind describing the subtle differences between a Virginia/Burely and a Virginia/Perique and if you prefer one over the other and when? If I'm asking too much for this post just say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.