PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just had my first taste of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's North Star.
Many of the reviews I read claim there is a Lakeland component.
I've read a bit, supposedly a floral, maybe "soapy" quality?
Tobaccoreviews indicates no flavoring to this blend. I do steer towards non-aro's and I didn't seem to get any floral or soapy notes. It's possibly hidden in/under the VA sweetness and I'm just not detecting it, apart.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

Sep 18, 2015
Okay, now I'm curious. What are the Real Lakelands? I've been smoking GH Curly Cut Delux and Dark Birdseye, do they count?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Lakelands are made by several houses in the Lakeland district of England, like Gawith and Hoggarth and Sam Gawith. They may be one house now.
The tobaccos are scented with traditional florals of the region and the recipes and equipment go back two hundred years. The tobaccos are top quality and the flavorings are unique, which may taste odd to an American palate since the flavors are not associated with what we normally associate with food.
Every time I smoke a lakeland tobacco I feel lucky that they are available to me after all this time.
fvplug-600x448.jpg

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Ennerdale may be the lesson. I don't get the soapy comments. Just floral and sweet. Also try grasmere flake.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Beware the dark damp of Grandma's purse that is Lakeland, and also those that trifle with it.
This is somewhat gross, and yet quite accurate. :)
As suggested, if you want to jump in the deep end then try Ennerdale Flake. One of my favorites, yet I can understand others' disgust at it - it's its own thing. Alternatives would be G&H Rum Flake or Dark Flake Scented.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Absolutely horrible! :nana:
It's like smoking grandma's floral soap.
Just don't smoke it in a pipe you care about. :crying:
Seriously though based on my personal experience it will ghost the crap out of whatever pipe you smoke it in.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In the town of Kendal in the Lake District (not Lakeland) of England there are two tobacco manufacturers. Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth, they are remotely related concerns.
Both houses make both scented and unscented blends and it is the scented blends that are often regarded as being 'Lakeland' blends.
These scented blends are either loved or loathed by equal measure in the pipe smoking community. It has to be noted that some scented blends are very heavily scented whereas others are not so.
A common mistake is to bundle Condor (flake, plug or ready rubbed) in with these so called Lakeland blends, this is not the case.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: rajangan

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, now you all have sent me down the shadowy road to Soap-ville.
I stopped at my B&M today for a smoke and chat.
Bantered my way across the shelves, looking for an unexplored niche.
The Lakeland topic eventually emerged and my local guy foisted a tin of Hyde Park upon me.
"Made Exclusively for Peterson of Dublin", but by whom? I don't know...
B&M dude says it's a "nice" intro to Lakelands, although the tin says nothing of it.
Gonna put some in the cob shortly. Meanwhile, if familiar, please give your opinion.
jay-roger.jpg

May 4, 2015
"Made Exclusively for Peterson of Dublin", but by whom? I don't know...
It is blended for Peterson by Gawith & Hoggarth. I smoked some of this blend once. It was aged and had beautiful crystals on it and I was excited to give it a shot. It was gifted to me by my brother in law. I smoked about 5-minutes worth, disposed of the rest, and told him it was one of the best tobaccos I ever smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.