PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Search for pipes with drilled (or multi-piece) C stem logos. Pipes with stamped or one piece C logos can be good, but you increase the odds of getting a great pipe by getting pipes made before the merger in '81-'82.
Tradition grade pipes are reasonable and offer a great experience. Blue Ribands are close to the top of the heap. I've never had a BR Comoy's so I can't comment on that experience.
The COM stamped changed over the era's. The Round "Made In London", then England under was used from the late 40's to the merger point and the most common. Use that and the drilled stem logo to date. Other variations of the COM were used in earlier pieces. I have several from the 1930's which are truly magnificent smoking devices.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
If you get a pretransition Comoys you will be a happy man. The bit is terrific...thin like a piece of paper in your mouth instead of a piece of vulcanite. Excellent old Brit wood. Curing is outstanding.

Reactions: Papamique

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Fully concur, pepe'. 3-cut C = pre-Cadogan & thus unquestionably stellar quality. I've had at least a dozen of them & never a bad one. Ever. Full stop.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Oh, BTW, nm, just to clarify -- I've always preferred bents when it came to Comoy, but I've also owned a few mahvy straights, in particular a magNIFicent bulldog Pebble Grain I'd give my eye teeth to have back. -sigh-

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Pretty much what everyone stated above, look for a 'three piece' C logo.
Stay with the traditional lines, in the seventies the marketing department went nuts and started randomly introducing new lines of pipes pretty much willy nilly. A lot of these new lines were nice pipes, but they were coming at the end of the heyday and I tend to avoid them.
There are tons of good Traditions and London Prides out there for not much scratch, so if I were to want to sample the make that is where I would start (and London Pride pipes are actually quite high in the hierarchy). Get one with a stem that hasn't been chewed and you'll probably be OK.
The draw is tighter than what you would expect today from a artisan pipe, but pretty much in line with all pipes from the period and better than contemporary Kaywoodie or Dr. Grabow pipes.
I have had probably 300 Comoy's pipes pass through my hands, and keep about 15 in my rotation. What are you looking for in a pipe?
doc

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
"better than contemporary Kaywoodie or Dr. Grabow" -- Vastly so, yeah, even considering that most pipes from those two of that era were "drugstore pipes" like Medico. And, yeah,that is definitely a pejorative.
And laconic Jesse being the true Bard of Barling, his comment should be considered high praise indeed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard the old Comoys were fine pipes. I can't tell what's happened with the brand in recent years. The Iwan Ries catalog still has a logo with their Comoys that says "Comoys of London," but didn't they shift their production years ago to Italy or France? My favorite shape that I know about in the current offerings is the zulu, but I like the open draw of the Sav versions of that shape in the unfiltered series of Savs and Rossi's. ...did a pipedia check and didn't see any mention of a move from London. I did notice under the "Comoy seconds" heading that Britannia is one of their second brands; I have one of those, and it is not restricted in draw and is well above the price point I paid at the local (now closed) Tinder Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.