PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
My friend and American pipe maker (E Andrew Pipes) Ed, passed away last night (12/22/17). Ed was ready, at home, and surrounded by family and friends.

This stubborn man was a hero to me. When I worked at Uhles I loved listening to his stories. He was kind and loved pipe smoking until the end. Last time we spoke he asked me to pick him up a tin of Frog Morton’s Cellar.

Please use this thread and share a story if you knew Ed. Also if you have one of his pipes spark one up in memory. Please keep his wife Barbara in your thoughts and prayers.

terry292

Lurker
Apr 5, 2017
Very sorry to hear about Ed's passing. I never met him, but remember when he began making pipes. He wrote about it extensively in the old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris. I have one of his pipes, a bent billiard, vaguely reminiscent of the Dunhill 120. May he rest in peace.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
May Ed rest in peace, and condolences to his wife. We shared a fondness for Frog Morton Cellar.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Sad News but Ed was a man of christian faith who lived a very good life!
I first met Ed on a Thursday night at Uhle's in 1991. We became friends and while I was working in the MKE area and I would stop over to his huge house to hangout with him. His shop was in the basement that was a few inches shorter than me so we'd spend time up in his den that was up on the third floor. I thought I had a lot of tobacco until I saw his chest full of tobacco including his favorite Tordenskjold Virginia flake. Usually my visits would include being fed by his dear late wife Mary. She was a regular at pipe shows quietly sitting at his table knitting something for one of their many grandchildren.
IMO Ed was in that group of what I would call the first generation of artisan carvers. Back then he was carving pretty much standard shapes. He did some great pipes and series of pipes for the Uptown's mailer. I'm not sure when it was but it was around 2000 when I think Ed and Mary hosted Teddy and Mettie around CPCC time and the time with Teddy really transformed Ed's style and finishing. Before Ed retired to enjoy time with his wife Barb and their large families he enjoy his time as a celebrated carver with Japanese collectors. Ed and Barb traveled there a few times for shows.
RIP Edward.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Years back when I first became aware of artisan-made pipes I chanced upon an enticing example of E. Andrew's craftsmanship in a tobacconist's shop, the name and location of which I do not now recall - it has been that long ago. The pipe was a smooth-finished Canadian, and it stood out like a diamond amidst the other pieces of coal on display there.
Sadly its price was beyond my newly-married means, and so I handed it back to the shopkeeper with sad reluctance. Sensing my despair, he kindly give to me a tri-fold E. Andrew pamphlet which featured an image of another of his pipes similar to the one which captured my heart that day. That pamphlet still resides in my collection of tobacciana, and when I took it out this evening I discovered still-smoldering the sense of unfulfilled desire for that beautiful bit of briar. That, I submit to you ladies and gentlemen, is the power of a pipe-maker truly worthy of the title.
Rest well, Sir!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Did not know him, but to be remembered like this he must have been a good man. I hope I can be remembered like this. I hope his family is comforted in this holiday season.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/jsonline/obituary.aspx?n=edward-jurkiewicz&pid=187620359&referrer=0&preview=false

The obituary printed in the paper

Status
Not open for further replies.