PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
So I'm feeling the need to add a couple more pipes to the rotation, as I venture deeper into this. I currnently have a Hardcastle Royal Bruyere and 2 MM corncobs.
I'm hoping for some suggestions on brands/types that are reasonably priced and smoke well, so I can try a few before I start dropping too many $'s.
I'm really open to anything at this point...thinking adding an MM hardwood at the very least, but would like to get one or two more in addition.
Thanks!
Sean

bjeorn

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2010
inexpensive hmmmm.. kaywoodie,parker,orlik,dr plumb,big ben,unamed (london mades)on ebay and if you can, get to a tobacconist then ask em if they have a bargain bucketbasket you can find some nice little gems in those. hope this help :puffy:

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I sell estate pipes and if you would send me a PM with your email and what you want to spend, I would be happy to send you some pictures and make you a deal on some.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Dont neglect the antique store. I've found a few good pipes there. Old Kaywoodie, and an LHS. Granted they needed a little work, but were 5 dollars a piece and are great smokers once cleaned up.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
All, do not forget the good Dr. Dr. Grabow makes some really nice pipes at a low price that smoke well and for someone just getting started that is a good way to go, not a whole lot of investment and it gives a good chance to see if this is his persuit to happiness as it is for us....... :puffy:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I can attest to the fine quality of the pipes that Earl(strongirish) sells. Well refurbed items!

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks everyone for your input thus far, but by all means KEEP IT COMING!
I did just order a couple MM Hardwoods (one for a friend) and another corncob, but still need to add a couple more.
Sean

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
For price and quality, defanately go for a refurb! It can be like buying a nice Dodge Ram duelly for the price of a broken down Pinto. Best deals out there imo. :puffpipe:

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I agree with the Dr Grabow suggestion. I have a number of them and they are all good smokers for a good price (just remove the filter). I would also suggest Medico pipes, just avoid the brylon ones as they get extremely hot.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Like JohnnyRebel said, look at the antique stores and flea markets. I just found a $5 Savinelli the other day at an antique store just 3 minutes from my house. They also have a lot of pipe stands and other slightly used pipes. The Savinelli really caught my eye and now it's mine. Most pipe stores will have an affordable line of pipes as well. If you live close to one, check them out and see whats available.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Hmm, antique stores...My wife likes to wander those when we come across one here and there. I think I may have just changed my tune on them. I used to take a quick pass, then head outside for a cigarette or 2 while she continued wandering.
I wonder if she'll find my new found interest in antiquing odd?

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I don't know what your price range might be, but I might suggest the Savinelli Cricket.

I have had mine for almost a year now. Wonderful smoker. Matter of fact, it is only the second pipe I have ever had that requires no cleaners during a smoke to clean up the moisture. The other is a little Grenchi bulldog.

This Savinelli is covered in leather. I don't know if that's something you would be interested in, but it was under $100.00 in price, if I recall. It's dry smoking and it's one of the best pipes I own for straight Virginias. I have been smoking Boswell's Premium Burley in it lately, and that also comes across well. The covering also helps to keep the bowl from becoming too hot while smoking.

Mine is a slightly bent pot shape.
003.jpg

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Max, is that real leather on that there pipe? Thats an awesome looking pipe, the stem has nice colors too.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
sjolie, she will enjoy your new interest in antique shops. I like looking around for that one treasure that has been overlooked by so many people for a lot of years, just waiting for me to take notice and take it home. There are lots of treasures out there, just start looking and see what comes up. My mother got me started years ago and I haven't stopped looking. Seems like all small towns will have at least one old shop to look through.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
yuri66, yep. That's real leather. I didn't so much care for the stiching, so I took a little cordovan shoe polish and touched it up. Now it matches the leather.

It's also one of the lightest pipes I own. They come in a choice of brown or green leather.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
There is a local tobacco store down the block from my office. This place is a disaster for the most part, but they do move a bit of bulk tobacco and when I made my first bulk tobacco purchase the did recommend something called "Beaverkill" which I learned weeks later is Lane 1Q.
There are only a handful of pipes (which look like they've been around a long, long time). While waiting for my tobacco I spied 2 pipes which I recognized from here earlier this afternoon - the Savinelli Cricket (leather wrapped) that Maxpeters noted above.
savinelli_cricketgreen.gif

Don't know how long, but I'm guessing they've been there for a while. I'm not super hot on the green leather (like the brown though), but the price seems right at ~$45. Did a quick Google search and looks like they go for around $100.
What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.