PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
Why is McClelland's tins on ebay going for so much more than Dunhill's tins? Both closing both great quality but why?

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
McClelland has no competition. Dunhill is still available at normal prices just about everywhere.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dunhill is still being produced. The McClelland blends that are out there are all that is left.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Maybe because the perception is that there is less stock of McClelland than Dunhill out there?out there?
Perception? More like reality.
The news of Dunhill ending production has been circulating since early last year...while the McClelland apocalypse was sudden and final. Many people were unprepared for the Mike's retirement.
Also, IMO, McClelland blends are so much better than anything Dunhill had been making lately (with a few exceptions).

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I think production ended late last year.
I heard this as well, but I believe Dunhill has a much larger amount out there in the world. I am no longer seeing Navy Rolls for sale, (on SP and P&C) and I am under the assumption I never will again.. :crying:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
"Isn't selling full tins on ebay a violation of their rules?"
Has to contain the caviot that the price is for the can and the contents are not for human consumption. There was a period of time a few years back that all tobacco sales were banned on EBAY. But now the market is so hot that I don't see them pulling the plug on collectible tins of tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Has to contain the caviot that the price is for the can and the contents are not for human consumption. There was a period of time a few years back that all tobacco sales were banned on EBAY. But now the market is so hot that I don't see them pulling the plug on collectible tins of tobacco.
Actually, that's still the rule. Under eBay guidelines the selling of tobacco is not allowed:
"Any item containing tobacco, including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, and loose tobacco."
So all of those listings are in violation of eBay rules and can be shut down. But, eBay won't do that. However, if a buyer complains about the tobacco they bought, eBay or PayPal will refund the money and claw it back from the seller since it's technically selling a banned product.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Interesting. As they say...money speaks loudest. Prices used to be great. I picked up a bunch or really old stuff at bargain prices 2-3 years back. Now, prices are 25% over retail because everyone gets competitive.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can think of a bunch of reasons why McClelland is going for more than Dunhill. Here are the two main reasons:
1. People have had an 18 month warning about Dunhill blends being discontinued. They've had time to deal with the grief and stock up, plus there's still a ton of the stuff in stock. The old Murray's and real Dunhill product goes for $$$$
2. McClelland's ending was announced after the hull had settled into the ocean floor, catching people who weren't regular McClelland customers by surprise, so people who hadn't stocked up are grieving and panicking, and others who had been stocking up are either enjoying their stock or profiting off of those who hadn't stocked up.
These prices may moderate in a couple of months after the shock and fear have worn off. And if they don't wear off there will be a nice market for sellers of McClelland products.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As to eBay, you'd be buying the "sealed tin". That it contains tobacco is irrelevant to eBay, as it's not selling the tobacco. Sorta.
Surprising that the Bay would help get money back for something they "didn't" sell.... Oh, well, there are more important things to ponder.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Also Sablebrush, I'm betting STG went balls out in production filling every warehouse and distribution center across the world for the last 18 months. They didn't have a "red Virginia" shortage.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Now, what i would like to know is how come every online retailer is lousy with HH Vintage Syrian? I thought that leaf was gone but everybody has it in stock.
I never tried it and have none in the cellar. What say you guys? Do I need to score a couple of pounds of this stuff before it's gone? Is it really that great?

I do love balkans, but my concern was the added Dark Fired Kentucky. How am I supposed to know what syrian latakia tastes like with that in the mix too?

I do have a few tins of Froggy Pond stashed away. I believe that is straight Syrian. So, let me know yay or nay if I need this in my cellar, please 8)

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I stocked up on 3OS and FM ATP. before it disappeared. I have been adding to my vintage Syrian as funds permit.
https://www.google.com&s/dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/hh-vintage-syrian-vs-3-oaks-syrian&

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now, what i would like to know is how come every online retailer is lousy with HH Vintage Syrian? I thought that leaf was gone but everybody has it in stock.
They found some more Syrian that met their needs, so they were able to extend the blend a little longer, but the final shipment went out recently. My taste for Latakia has greatly diminished, so the 5 tins of Vintage Syrian, plus the tins of blending Syrian, are more than enough for me. That said, I like Vintage Syrian very much.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
How am I supposed to know what syrian latakia tastes like ...

I tried some Wellauer's Latakia to know how it tastes and loved it, much more than the cyprian.

Back to the topic: sablebrush has explained nicely why McClelland might be selling better than Dunhill and I agree with the two main reasons. I never buy tobacco from ebay and there are still Dunhill's Nightcap (and other tins) available so no need to panic. And even if there had been none, c'mon, it's just a tobacco (as one guy from ytpc has recently wisely added). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.