PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Here's a little note to all you sellers. I will immediately pass up your listing if I see these heinously overused terms. 1) Minty. You really think I want a pipe that tastes like mint? It's not clever anymore...it hasn't been for over a decade. 2) Pristine. This one is usually quite far from the truth and is, again, overused. 3) LQQK/L@@K. What the hell does that even mean and what language is it in? This one isn't clever either. 3) Vintage. Again, usually not true. Something from 1980 is not "vintage" yet. 4) Beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm the one beholding it. If I find it beautiful, great. If not, then to me it isn't. 6) Giant print, multi-colored, bold type descriptions. They just hurt to read. Color/bold is a spice in your description, use it sparingly.
This was a bit joking but truly, there are a lot of overused terms and you will not get more customers just by using them. Instead what we want to see are several clear pictures from multiple angles, complete descriptions, and shipping/returns info. For examples of great listings, just check out those by Pipestud, Smokers Haven and Briarblues.
Are there any annoying terms I missed?

May 31, 2012
I've been contemplating a conceptual art project called "Grimey Pipes".
Listing really shitty thrashed pipes w/ very high prices!
I think it'd be funny!
Also include a parody of that stupid-ass shinypipe "contract".

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
The terms I always exclude from my searches are "durable," "gift," "classic," "fashion," "wood," "wooden," and "classic." These almost always refer to crappy Chinese-made pipes.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I agree with the above posts, but the one that really gets me is everything is

now marked " vintage " and I do mean everything. !!!!

I would also have to add, " the pipe has been cleaned ", really?.

Don't think so, I have spent many hours scrubbing the Yuk off of the stems and the pipe itself.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
lol - good post capt!
I cannot stand the use of the word "minty" - and yet, I actually understand why they use it. If a pipe has been smoked, it cannot be any definition be "mint". Yet, if it's in perfect condition for a pre-smoked pipe, then "minty" implies that.
That said, the seller that uses that term the most is "shinypipes" and they are some of the biggest liars out there, so the term is pretty much meaningless.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've been contemplating a conceptual art project called "Grimey Pipes".
Listing really shitty thrashed pipes w/ very high prices!
I think it'd be funny!
Also include a parody of that stupid-ass shinypipe "contract".
:rofl: Be sure you call it "Stupid-Ass Mama's-Boy Contract."

Status
Not open for further replies.