Ebay seller from Ukraine, anyone have experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Hey guys, I am in the mood for a new pipe or two and I was looking on Ebay for some deals. I came across this seller from the Ukraine who does handcarved pipes and they are very reasonably priced. Like under 40 including shipping. My question is does anyone have any experience with this seller called Pipestore? Are they trustworthy and are the pipes of decent quality? They are defiantely unique but do they smoke well? Thanks for any help and information you can provide.
Jim

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I've seen a seller from Ukraine selling pipes and pipestands. I've never heard anything about their quality but they sure look quite unique if we're talking about the same guy.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have never heard of Pipestore, are they Briar pipes or pear wood? I would go to Ebay and look but I REALLY NEED TO STAY OFF EBAY

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
ok so from what I can see they are made from Pear Wood. I have done zero research on Pear wood pipes. Are they comparable to a decent briar? For the money I would not expect an amazing pipe but would be nice if it wasnt a piece of trash. Some of the designs are really nice and would add some flair to any pipe collection i would imagine.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
JS, from personal experience I can tell you that pearwood pipes burn extremely hot right from the initial light up!
Halfway through the bowl I was only able to hold the pipe by the shank. It ended up in the bin...the only pipe I ever threw away!
Best to stick to briar.
Regards,
Jay.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have a Pear Wood pipe from Ukraine, it's thick walled and I've only smoked it a few times but it was fine. It had a small metal medallion set into it that was loose other than that no problems.

Jan 8, 2013
I've had two, when I first started smoking a pipe. The shank split on both of them. Might have been user error, for not letting the pipe cool down enough before removing stem. They smoked pretty good, but the stems are crap. I wouldn't rule out myself getting one again, just because the dragons carved into mine were super cool... but in my humble opinion, you could probably find a briar pipe for the same cost which will be more durable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are many many briar pipes in the neighborhood of forty bucks that are well made and good smokers, so I wouldn't buy pear wood solely for economy. In general, I have heard that pear can be a good smoke but may not be durable, per anthony's post. Indeed, some inexpensive briar pipes are cheesy and poorly made, but many are not. Top line Dr. Grabow's can be had for around forty bucks, the Royalton series with acrylic stems and some wonderful (to me) American factory pipe design. EWAs at Iwan Ries are French pipes, and though small-bowled, can give a longer smoke with flake/plug/coin/rope. So, try a pear wood pipe if you like, but don't count on its long life, or if you are just looking for a good low-cost pipe, there are many brands to choose from if you shop widely. Stick with known brands.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Thanks for the responses guys. The rerason I was interested in them is because of the unique carved design. I figured it would not be a great smoker but because of its look it might make an interesting addition, think of it like artwork. I was wondering if it would potentially be ok as an occasional smoker, It wasnt something I was interested in simply because it was inexpensive. I agree that the higher quality Dr Grabows are just fine for an economic pipe, or even better, just get a cob.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
I recently acquired a Mr Brog 304 Galway from Poland and I was more than satisfied with the pipe, made from pear wood, although I have yet to break it in - any tips on breaking it in would be most appreciated. It was the design of the pipe which trapped me !
Peace.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I have a Brog Pear Amigo and, even with fairly thick walls, it burns hot enough to discolor the finish. As a nice piece of carving, then great, but I wouldn't buy another pear wood pipe if my plan was to smoke it with any regularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.