PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Found a vintage, unused Pipnet set for under $40. I tend to use pen knives for reaming, but I couldn't pass on that deal.
img_20171208_0355501-600x456.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The Pipnet blades are thicker and sharp only on one side of the blade. The T- handle is also longer supposedly giving more leverage.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I will have to take some closeup pics of my Decatur. The blades are properly made, sharp on one edge like a normal reamer. If the handle were larger on it, it would be very easy to crack a pipe. I was just curious to see what the differences were. If it is a big deal, I would look for a set. But, my set seems to work fine. I do want to sharpen them a bit though.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Probably not a big issue, but as mentioned, just couldn't pass on the price. I will likely continue using the pen knife, but have a soft spot for vintage pipe accessories. Still have a Cooke's reamer that has never been used. :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can't speak to the Decater, but the Castleford, which is a cheap Chinese knock off, it clearly inferior and quality control is pretty hit or miss. The Castleford blades are thinner, and they sometimes have the burr left on them. The plastic is rigid and cheap, where as the plastic handles on the Pipnet are very high quality with surprising tensile strength. I have other reamers, including a set of Danish made steel reamers that fit chamber sizes not covered by the Pipnet. It's good to have the correct tool for the job, though I rarely have to ream anymore.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jesse's experience with the Castleford set is consistent with mine. The clear plastic is fragile and I broke the mount on two of the bits before finding a vintage Pipenet set like the OP.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I too like vintage quality tools. I will keep an eye out for the pipnet set, but when the current batch of estate pipes are completed, I shouldn't need reamers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.