PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I try not to, but couldn't resist this little, chunky, craggy Digby. I put some salt in the bowl and cleaned it up. Tonight the dog gets a long walk.

digby-0913-600x448.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Was that found thru SmokingPipes.com? I think I recall seeing it somewhere. That is great shape - is there a shape number on the pipe?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
is there a shape number on the pipe?

Al, It says shape 347. It comes in right at 5 inches long. I got it off Ebay, I was the only bidder, $35 shipped.

hope it smokes great for you

Thanks, cigrmaster. I ran some Escudo through it tonight and I was impressed.
First, I like the craggy look, that was done really well and it pleases me. Also it is nice and light (I'm a clencher). It had a gurgle after a bit but I ran a pipe cleaner through it and no more issues. This doesn't surprise me since yesterday the bowl was filled with salt and alcohol.
The bowl seems to hold a tremendous amount of tobacco for its size - I smoked for nearly two hours. The stem/shank connection is seamless and tight and the stem is very comfortable despite its chunky bulk. It is a well made pipe.
The only criticism I have is that the stem and the top of the bowl have a few cosmetic issues, and the outside of the bowl required substantial cleaning, but hey, it is an estate. It is not out of round. There is a vanilla ghost in it, but that is not the fault of the pipe, I should have no problem smoking it out (I'm not an aromaticist).
I don't pull the trigger often on these, so I think I got lucky with a nice pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For the age - what is the nomenclature stamping? (ie "London, England" in a straight line or the "Made in London" (football) w/England underneath)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Here a Digby, there a Digby, everwhere a Digby. Until last week when I bought a Digby I'd never heard of them.
For the small time I had mine before sending it out for repair, I was impressed with the quality of this GBD second. Enjoy your pipe, Sallow. When I get mine back I'll post it and I encourage all Digby owners to post pictures of theirs so that we can see more of these great pipes.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Plateauguy, make sure you post a picture when it comes back.

For the age - what is the nomenclature stamping?

Here is a photo of the back. The back is flat, its a setter. It sets.

digby2-600x448.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a pre-Cadogan era Digby, made before 1981, but impossible to date more accurately than that.
We do have a "show us your GBD's & 2nds" thread, add your Digby's:

pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-gbd-pipes-and-2nds

Status
Not open for further replies.