PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I buy quite a few pipes from Ebay if they suit my need. However I have noticed that the bidding gets jumped through the roof by people who never seem to buy an article. In recent auction by Treasure Pipes the bidding doubled in a day driven by an Ebay account that has never purchase single item but only bids on pipes. Perhaps I am being a little crazy here but it does appear a little suspicious to my mind! Anyone else had a similar experience?

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
No you are not crazy it happens all the time. I bid on DE Razors and see this a lot

In many ways EBAY is a rip off. :evil:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I spend a lot time on ebay and I've seen/been a victim of this self bidding practice as well. If it happens, just walk away. Another good prospect will come up in good time.
Another way to avoid this is to use the filter and just view the "buy now" offerings. After a while you will get to know the reputable sellers and stick with them.

Jan 8, 2013
Damn, I have had some suspicions, but I think the stories here confirm it. I have yet to win a bid, but I have seen this same thing happen a few times. Its completely illegal, but nearly impossible to prove. I have just been leaving ebay alone and watching the regular pipe sites for deals.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly the stuff I buy does not come with a 'Buy It Now' button. However your comments have emboldened me to teach these bid riggers a lesson that may prove fatal and one that they will likely never forget. I am currently bidding on a group of pipes from a well known seller. The bidding doubled in $50 and then $100 increments by an Ebay glove puppet that has never purchased anything before and has surfaced on several other pipe auctions by the same seller. Well this time I will bid along and pay up but ask Ebay to investigate and at the sometime issue a legal demand on the seller and Ebay for all the bidders IP addresses. If I am right then I toss the guys arse into the DA's Office and sue him. I own the firm so litigation costs me nothing, he on the other hand will have to defend himself. If I am right he gets named and shamed! Lets have some fun with the scammers.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
I've called eBay before when someone seems to have a history of bidding things up and comes from the same town as the seller. eBay goes by the three strikes rule. I'm pretty sure the sellers got strikes against them and the bids by the other "bidder" in the seller's town were removed each time (before the auction ended). One time the sellers auctions all got suspended, so maybe that was their third strike.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The only way a shill can drive up prices is if someone thinks it is worth more than the shill bid. If you think a bidder is using a shill remember that someone outbid the shill. That means the same person would have outbid you.
BIN "auctions" are convenient but you rarely get real bargains.
Still trying to figure from some of the above threads how someone can retract their bid and still end up with the item.
The most important thing about eBay bidding is to never ever bid more than you think the item is worth to you.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Best of luck taking legal action against an Ebay seller. I've never heard of a case where it was successful. In the Kyle Black case last year, where police were involved, I dont believe Tony Soderman (an attorney)ever received any restitution. Ebay is still the wild, wild West.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
There are many great deals to be had on 'bay auctions, you just need months of patience and a very good knowledge of what you are buying. Know the amount what your bidding on is worth, set your number, and stick to it!
In the last few months I've bought 5-6 pipes and 300-400g of tobacco there, but thats after about 2 years of "lurking" auctions until I got a good feel for pricing.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have been using e-snipe for many of my bids in which you place your bid and it is put in in a specified number of seconds before the close of bidding. That has cut down on my edging up the bid for something that I feel I must have, even though it is above what I realistically should pay for it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Mike has summed it very well.
You can't get ripped off on eBay unless you participate in ripping yourself off. No one forces you to up your bid.
When I bid, I set a maximum bid and walk away. Shills can do what they like. I do my research regarding market values in determining what my maximum bid will be. Depending on make, model, and condition, my maximum will range from 2/3 to 3/4 of new. Occasionally it's less if a maker's resale values are lower.
I also ask questions of the sellers, ask for more pictures if I'm not satisfied with what has been posted, etc.
You can use eBay's advanced search option to see what prices items have brought in previous auctions as part of your research. That will give you an idea of the eBay market price range for an item.
Despite the hype, eBay doesn't exist to offer steal deals. Occasionally they do happen. I've had a handful in the thousands of auctions in which I've bid over the years.
The occasional super high prices aren't necessarily the result of shills. A particularly rare and desirable item can spur duels to the death between determined collectors. But in the end, the price was what someone thought the item was worth to them.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
As someone who buys pipes, but sells alot more pipes on Ebay. I just wanted to jump in here, as I had some guy send me an email once (through ebay) questioning a bid. I have had many many repeat buyers, and also some lame ducks. People who bid and retract, people who win and do not pay so I have to relist. I have even had a couple forum members become lame ducks. I have also had one guy who was repeat bidder, bid and win an auction then not pay. He sent me note on what was up, and I re-listed. No biggie! So I am not making excusses for anyone there, as I'm sure there are scammers. But from the other point of view sellers have to deal with alot of crap from bidder/buyers also. and some of these things may look bad to a person who does not know the whole backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.