PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Let me preface buy saying that I completely understand that you should always buy a pipe based solely upon what you feel it's worth. To aquire anything in any other way will leave you with a bad taste every time. This applies not only to pipes. Okay, that said....

Being new to the pipe world or not, there isn't a one of us who doesn't love a good deal, meaning that you've seen a pipe, established what you believe is a fair price, and scored it for less for whatever reason.

I've made a list of pipe makers of whom I'd like to aquire a piece of their work. It narrows my focus and gives me a goal, a purpose in this pastime/hobby. As I'm still new, I'm still finding my way. On eBay, I see a pipe on my list. I do as much reading as I can find on the maker, the seller, on current/previous sales figures, and most importantly, how badly I want it and to what degree does the pipe fit my own aesthetic preferences.

My "issue" is I find myself in a slight panic when I win an auction at well below what I estimated value at. Yes yes yes value is subjective, but market value is a piece of this. My worry is that I've missed something and overpaid for a flawed example. Time will build confidence and a pool of knowledge I can draw from, but right now it's hard!! Not "cause a stroke" hard, but hard.

I was just wondering how many others have this issue? I just won what seems a VERY cool Rad Davis pipe at way below what I had it pegged at and instead of being thrilled, I'm worried.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Sure you might have missed something. But most sellers allow returns. Especially people who don't normally sell pipes. They might have missed a defect themselves that regular pipe buyers saw in the pics. I myself don't even ask why. You don't like it, you can send it back for a refund.

But it's also very possible that you got lucky on a day when nobody else wanted to spend the $$ on that pipe. Sometimes if I expect a pipe to go for big money I don't even add it to my watch list. And if enough people do it someone can get a good deal. If you play long enough on ebay it happens from time to time. And it's really cool!

Relax and see what it looks like when you get it.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I feel that way all the time....but, I'm new at this also. I suppose Ebay can even be a crap shoot for the more experianced pipers here on occassion. Although, I assume knowledge and experiance limits the risk.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would relax and bask in the warmth of what is likely a good deal. I have similarly scored pipes that have "fallen through the cracks". Getting a pipe for 1/3 what you expected to pay is a good thing. Plus, as xrundog says, you can always return it. Even if the seller thinks they do not offer returns, they do thanks to eBay's Moneyback Guarantee. Of course that guarantee requires an error in the description, damage in transit, etc.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What Sam said, plus the following:
Prices on Rad Davis pipes show a wide range. Different shapes and finishes go for prices that range from the mid one hundreds to the mid three hundreds and occasionally outside of that range on either side.
Results on eBay are highly dependent on a variety of factors exclusive of the item up for auction. Presentation is critical. Well lit, sharply focused images generally result in better prices. When you look at one of treasurepipe's listings you see pipes that have been lit using a soft box that gives them a beautiful look. Certain sellers have more recognition and therefore garner better prices. Also, prices depend upon who's looking. And after the Holidays, prices tend to dip because a lot of discretionary funds have been spent. And none of that matters if someone obsessed gets into a bidding war with someone else similarly obsessed.
Since I've done my homework prior to bidding I have a good idea what the eBay market has been for a number of items prior to bidding on them. And after tracking literally tens of thousands of auctions over the past ten years, I often surprised by outliers. Price is proof of nothing.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Now that I've chilled a bit and given thought, at the end of the day, I've bought what I think is a beautiful pipe from a stunningly trustworthy dealer (PIPESTUD) at a fair price and I can check a name off of my Best List. I'm happy. Thanks guys! Here's a photo of the pipe.... Oh and I just now learned he's in Bama also, not far from me. Kinda cool.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
As SableBrush said "price is proof of nothing"
Many times I have purchased a good pipe for half its value, if I know I will be out bid on the pipe I will either put in a low bid early or add it to my watch list then come back to it when the auction is almost done and go from there.
Buying pipes on eBay to me is limited to a three conditions, Quality of pictures, Sellers reputation, Detail of pipe condition.

Do the pictures show the pipe in detail from all angels, does the seller often sell estate pipes, if so what is his feedback rating and over how many feedback scores and how much detail does the seller go to accurately describe both the condition of the pipe, what he has done in restoring it and how knowledgeable is he about the maker of the pipe.
Even then there are times when your a bit let down, however remember you always have buyer protection on eBay and with PayPal if the seller will not accept a return and give you a refund should you be unhappy with the completed purchase.
EDIT:

You posted the pic while I was writing my post, very nice looking pipe. Love the grain and the stem choice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I saw that pipe. Gorgeous piece, and you got it for one hell of a deal! The cumberland stem alone would have sold me that pipe for what you paid. I have Gotten several pipes from reputable ebay dealers far below retail, and have been pleased with each one. After seeing how much Moretti magnums are going for on P&C and SPC estates, I was amazed I got one new for just under $150! You have a beautiful Davis brother. Revel in it, and smoke it like you stole it!

:wink:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'd LOVE to be able to buy new, but I'll never be able to pay that kinda cash. The pipes I currently have, were I to have purchased new, would've run me 10k at the very least. New pipes aren't in my neighborhood, but I do pretty much always buy from the elite eBay resellers. I've gotten most of them from TREASUREPIPES, COOPERSARK, and Great-Estate-Pipes. Also, without the online world for estate pipes, I'd not have the collection I do. You make do with the tools you have and this forum has been invaluable for this purpose.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We all have a starting place. When I was 17, all I could afford to smoke were Grabows, cobs, Kaywoodies and Prince Albert. Twenty-four years later, I have my mortgage paid off, and can ocassionally indulge the urge for an artisan pipe. Now with the online availability of estate pipes, I can grab an estate pipe or two weekly if the urge hits, but those first pipes I smoked, though cheap, taught me the joys of the art, and the few of those that I still own still smoke wonderfully, and remind me of all the accomplishments and fun that I have had since the first time I put a flame to them.
Happy smoking brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.