Ebay Gouger: I Am Oddly Vexed

(22 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by wyfbane
  • Latest reply from anthony416
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I was perusing the 'bay. I have in the past found a great deal of awesome aged tobacco at reasonable prices on there. I know it has gotten a lot more tricky trying to navigate the morass of rules on there, but I looked tonight anyway.

Lo and behold, I came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2016-2017-Sealed-Collectable-Tobacco-Tins-/152265316127?

I don't know why this irritates me so. I am so tempted to ask the question, "How does this differ from the tins of 2016/2017Christmas cheer currently for sale at smokingpipes.com for $16.29 per tin?"

I know a squirrel has to get a nut, but having this kind of gouging on stuff still on sale pretty openly just tweaked a nerve. And to do it to a CHRISTMAS tobacco for heavens sake...

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could ask him/her, but I doubt you'd get a response. Or you could really ruin his/her day and report it to eBay as a violation of their TOS.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah it's pretty irritating. I saw this a while back and was going to post it on here myself, but then I just blew it off. Funny thing... I think he might have gone dropped the price from when I first saw it, if I remember correctly.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

They are just trying to make a few bucks, as you know, and I would too, but I'm not a complete douche. I hope people know they can get it cheaper from other sources. But hey, these may be bargain prices in a few years. C'est la vie.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but I'm not a complete douche

^This.

I don't mind a price bump, but this seems douche-like to me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

crap. double post. lolz

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think its too bad. After all the fees the seller isn't going to get rich. He's also willing to ship anywhere in the world, something SP doesn't do. So if you're a millionaire in the Maldives, and you need some CC, $105 ain't too bad for almost a half pound of premium tobacco. I've spent much more on a box of cigars.
    Just look at it with the attitude that he's doing our pipe brothers overseas a big service...........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I accept that... begrudgingly.

We should link it for that new guy from NZ that posted tonight.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The price is very steep, even considering some kind of shipment overseas; unless your address is Base Camp, Mt Everest. It's $32 of tobacco...

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta love those that take advantage of others. It's like the guy that owns the gas station and raises his prices by $3 a gallon during a disaster. I can't stand people like that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well if he really irritates you buy about a dozen CC and post them on ebay for $18.00. Make a note in your add saying there is "plenty more available". Stupid, er I mean uneducated buyers would quickly see he is a ripoff artist.

ps: his shipping to NZ is $32.00. It's only free shipping in the U.S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How much money is it worth it to go through the hassle to post something and then wait in line at the post office? Then, balanced with something that cannot be gotten anywhere else? Maybe too high for most people, but there may be someone out there...
    I know I wouldn't bother going through the hassle for $2 or even $10, unless I am doing it just do something nice for some friends. There are easier ways to make some pocket change.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We all have the choice to buy or not. Tobacco isn't an essential like fuel. Some people's access to that product might be so limited as to make them believe that's a good deal. If you don't know any better, shame on you!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta love those that take advantage of others. It's like the guy that owns the gas station and raises his prices by $3 a gallon during a disaster. I can't stand people like that.

Yeah, that's a primo case of gouging, and is deplorable. Hurts poor people much more than rich ones.

What the tobacco kerfuffle is about is ripoff. A mere ripoff! As Gloucesterman says, tobacco isn't essential like fuel.... But it is essential!!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I go into the bathroom, shut the door, and cry my eyes out. That usually makes them feel better!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure I understand the angst. It's certainly not gouging. He's named a price and he'll either get it or not.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I frequently see items I want, that I think are overpriced or gouged, so I put it on my watch list and see how much it goes for. I have been watching various items for weeks, or in a couple of cases for months. Usually the overpriced item goes unsold and they just end up relisting it for the same crazy price, and once again the time expires with the item unsold. I keep thinking they will relist it at a lower price, but they never do. You gotta give these guys credit, there are some persistant gougers out there.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. andy

andy

Login to Send PM

Capitalism at its finest!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nobody is forcing anyone to pay these prices. If it's worth the money to someone, it's worth the money to someone.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes. It ain't gouging unless it's asking unreasonable prices for essentials and there aren't ready substitutes, either in kind or in alternate sources.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was once vexed... and I still don't really understand why.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

Yes, it is basically buyer beware, but I doubt they will sell anyway. The seller will eventually give up......

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, ashdigger, spartan99, 3rdguy, cshubhra, marc75, smudgersmissingleg, rodo, yohanan, jguss, bullet08, frankrem, darthvader, jiminks