PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I get the sense on this forum that the EBay pipe market is generally held in less than high regard but with that said there are reputable sellers out there with good deals to be had. There are pipes I look at that claim to be "Unsmoked" but then go on to say that they have been cleaned and well taken care of. That seems like a contradiction to me. They occasionally show signs of what I consider to be wear and scratches or dings what have you. What are people doing with an unsmoked pipe that would require it to be cleaned thoroughly and show signs of use? Maybe this question is too far reaching with no healthy generality to be derived but what should one's expectation be with buying through EBay?

Jan 8, 2013
I was looking at a meerchaum the other day stated as "unsmoked" yet a picture of the bowl showed the chamber as not only smoked, but pretty well black on the inside from cake and char. I've seen briars labeled as mint, but the photos, although a tad bit fuzzy, clearly showed a large amount of dings and dents on the bowl with oxidation showing on the stem. I'm just now starting out on ebay. Haven't had the chance to actually bid on a pipe yet, but I've been watching and it's been fun. Watched a stunning Ben Wade go from within my reach to just as I was about to place a bid in the final few moments of bidding the pipe took off like a freaking fighter jet and I watched in horror as the price skyrocketed in the closing seconds. Heart broken... I think I whimpered a little. Might have even peed a little. But that's ok. I do know there are reputable and honest sellers on Ebay. Our own Pipestud is one of them. I've been following his auctions lately. Sooner or later I'll get lucky and bag a nice one.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Look for sellers who post good pictures and give honest descriptions. They are out there and then you know what you are getting.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
final few moments of bidding the pipe took off like a freaking fighter jet and I watched in horror as the price skyrocketed in the closing seconds. Heart broken... I think I whimpered a little.
Always a joy to read anthony's posts. Insightful and funny.
The last minute surge for ideal prices and glorious victory is fun to watch and you can scrape away almost literally stealing an item from a potential buyer. I think this is somewhat a flaw in the system though. It should work like a regular auction house in which bidding would continue until no more bids were offered. This could be done simply by adding a minute to the clock once a bid is placed. It would be fair to the other bidders giving them the option to counter bid and not have the ticking time bomb go off in their face. Sellers may see better sale prices as well. Ultimately the max bid concept is supposed to solve the last minute loss problem but I don't think it does.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I would also look at mwreschke on eBay, very reputable, very honest and very knowledgeable. You will find many users here that hold him in high regard. There are others also but Mike Reschke has a lot of pipes always on sale and a great range, quite often you get a great price. Just don't steal the 1975 Wathen from me, been trying to get one in my collection for ages ... lol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's my 2¢.
Before you buy on eBay, do your research! I tell newbies not to buy anything initially, but to watch auctions for a couple of months. You will get an idea of the price range for the item of interest, not only for the make and model, but also for condition. Condition matters. When you have a good idea of the general market price you will know what is a reasonable maximum bid to make. Your best defense against being screwed is to be informed.
If you aren't satisfied with the presentation, contact the seller and ask for more information, whether it's better pictures, or more info on the item. For example, I want to see pictures of the rim, the chamber, and the bit. If I don't have clear pictures of those parts of the pipe, I don't bid. If the seller isn't wiling or interested in responding to my requests, I pass on that auction.
If the auction is a "no return" auction, don't bid. Regardless of the claims of sellers, pictures are not enough. You need to hold the pipe in your hand and check it out in person. Nobody's pictures are an acceptable substitute.
Have a firm idea regarding what you are willing to spend and stick to it. You may win some and lose others, but there are always more items coming up for sale every day. Never, never, never, get into a bidding war. The only winner is the seller. If someone wants the pipe more than you do, let them have it. There will be more. However, if you really don't care about the cost, then go ahead and pay 500% of market. It's your money.
There isn't much reason to bid early. Most of the action takes place in the last couple of seconds. Sniping is a common practice. While it once may have offered an advantage, so many people are engaged in it that the advantage really isn't there. I see clusters of last minute bids all the time. Most of the time, the final bid falls into the usual range for that item. Occasionally two snipers with the dumb idea of bidding extremely high collide in the monetary stratosphere, which is great for the seller. If you have a bright idea, chances are someone else has it as well. If you have done your research and know the general market range you can avoid being roadkill.
Don't get emotionally involved, or let your ego drive your behavior. That is a good way to become roadkill. There will be something else to go after down the road. There is always more. Be patient.
If you are good at "reading" pictures, you may occasionally find a deal where less than stellar pictures, coupled with a significant opening bid requirement, result in a situation where nobody bids, except for you. An example of that happened for me last month. A seller posted pictures of a Barling Quaint that were not great, but were good enough for me to get a "read" on the condition. The opening bid was $350. I made the only bid and got the pipe for $350. It was in terrific condition with sharp carving, crisp nomenclature, and almost no wear anywhere. Properly presented, that pipe could have gone for twice the price and would have gone for over $1000 from a dealer. But those instances are as rare as hen's teeth.
There are some reputable sellers on eBay. Mwresche is one, Great Estate Pipes, ebuyer1932 (IRRC, can't remember the number after ebuyer), Treasurepipes, Coopersark, Briar Blues, and Pipestud are others and there are more whom I'm not remembering as I write this. They provide good pictures and descriptions, and they will honor their sales if there is a problem.
Don't go to eBay for great bargains. They do happen, but generally you pay what the market is at that moment. And the market may change. You are likely to spend more at this time of the year. People are thinking of getting themselves something special for Christmas and they bid more to get it. After the Holidays, people are staring with horror at their bills and are less likely to open their pocketbooks. Prices will be lower.
With eBay, always be prepared for the unexpected. There are so many ways to screw up a pipe, and many of them don't show up in pictures.
Don't blame eBay if you make a bad decision. They're not responsible for your foolishness. But they do offer remedies if you have a legitimate grievance and can't come to a satisfactory arrangement with the seller.
eBay doesn't exist to give you great deals. It exists to allow people to buy and sell. Period.
About "unsmoked" pipes. Unsmoked doesn't mean new. It means unsmoked. A 100 year old unsmoked pipe isn't necessarily going to look new. It's been in the attic, been bounced around in a few moves, or has been displayed on a rack so that the stem got horribly oxidized. Maybe a former owner liked to clench the pipe but never took a match to it, so there are teeth marks. Maybe a former owner dropped the pipe and never smoked it, but it has a couple of dents from being dropped. One of my unsmoked Barlings has clear evidence of light teeth chatter. BTW, this one wasn't sold as an unsmoked pipe. I could see that the pipe was in exceptional condition despite the middling quality pictures. I was shocked to see that it had never been fired up.
If you do your homework and become a knowledgeable bidder you can do well on eBay. If you're trying to get a steal deal you may be disappointed. If you get caught up in emotional bidding you will be roadkill.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Goodness, sable, that is the all inclusive guide. I thank you for your time and effort. I want you to know that I read every word and will keep tabs on this thread for future reference. Again thanks!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Very informative post Sable, in the beginning I didn't know the value of particular pipes but I did set myself a limit, usually about 40% of a new pipe similar to it if it was in good condition, I never got into any bidding wars and got myself some reasonably priced pipes. Also look out for bulk items, 2 weeks ago I picked up 9 pipes with a vintage pipe rack for $150 AUD and was the only bidder. All were in great condition only needing internal cleaning, so I paid an average of $16 / pipe with a free 5 pipe stand. All great smokers and welcome additions to my collection.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Count me as an Ebay fan and I have found plenty of bargains. Like sable said, "research".
I have 15 specific Ebay searches set for the pipes I collect. I check them twice a day, for over three years now. I look at hundreds pipe auctions to cull thru what I want. Most of the time, I'll also check "other items" from a pipe that caught my eye, that has yielded plenty of good buys. The Ebay app on my phone makes this pretty easy and it is hard to miss something listed as a "Buy it Now", which could literally disappear in minutes of being listed.
I don't have time to scan the thousands of Ebay ads posted weekly, so I'm sure that I miss some pipes that are simply incorrectly listed, due to spelling errors, or just plan ignorance of tobacciana. I just don't have time to comb thru all of the Ebay tobacciana section.
After I have been searching for that long, I have a feel for vendors that I trust and those who find what I'm looking for.
I keep a "Holy Grail" list of certain pipes that I'm looking to add to my collection. The list numbers 13 pipes. This year, I managed to find 8 of that 13, so 2014 and Ebay was kind to me. (7 of 8 came from Ebay). Two were found in 2013. Of that seven only one came from an Ebay pipe seller. So, those pipes sold by inexperienced Ebay sellers went unnoticed by folks looking for my shapes/brands. Some of the pictures were lousy. I do restore my own pipes and I'm not afraid to tackle what looks like a challenge. On all of those buys, I was ultimately rewarded with a great pipe, after a little effort on my part. To be honest, some of my most prized pipes are ones that were pretty tatty and needed a lot of restoration. Pipes bought shiny out of the box just don't find as large a spot in my heart.
Bad pictures are also a help to my success. They deter other collectors who don't restore pipes and who might be looking for ready to smoke pipes.
Time and experience is your friend on successfully navigating the Ebay waters. It helps to have a specific focus versus random pipes.
Good luck!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Sable, I made this thread a favorite, for future reference.
For me, eBay is a bit like searching yard sales and flea markets. Lots of trash, lots of curiosities I don't need, lots of opportunities to spend money impulsively, but you'll come accross the occasional treasure. My late Father and other family members haunted flea markets and yard sales, and a couple dabbled as flea market vendors. My Dad did purchase a few items for himself, but he almost never failed to bring home some bauble or other gift for my Mom. She has so many that she could provide the inventory for her own flea market stall.
There is a certain treasure hunt aspect that is exciting to some. The thrill is in the hunt. Note how often the terms "bag, bagged and bagging"are used to describe acquistions.
I don't really share the acquisition habit. I spent hours on ebay looking for Falcon pipes and bowls this summer. I never did find a deal that was worth the extra hassle and risk of ordering from eBay over ordering from 4Noggins or other reputable vendor. The estate pipes I purchaed were from PM members that advertised on these forums.
However, now that members here have personally recommended some reliable vendors, I may take another go at it.
Pax

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have gotten maybe 90 pipes off ebay. Only been burnt twice. First time I didn't think it worth reporting since it was $12. Second time I did. Seller had unsmoked pipe for $10 but the stem was chewed, I was intriged. It came as described... except for the 1.5 inch crack running up the shank.
Seller refunded immediately and said to keep the pipe.
Ebay is a fine place.
I DO like the idea of saved searches. I will have to look into that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In general I wouldn't recommend ebay for newbie pipe smokers. I think there is an advantage in dealing with

reputable online retailers (smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, 4noggins.com, iwanries.com, etc.) because

you will better learn about pipes, without all the noise and distraction and competitive instinct that goes with

an auction on ebay, all the mindgames and gamesmanship. A newbie who is experienced on ebay otherwise,

buying other products, might do better, but I don't think you'll learn as much about pipes. Maybe it's because

I'm TOO competitive and not philosophical enough, so I'd get distracted by the bidding. People do pick up some

pretty good bargains, I think especially in the lower-end pipes, where good smokers are to be had for five to

twenty bucks because no one is bidding much. But if you want to buy anything standard, like a Peterson or a

Stanwell, you're better off with a retailer. You might pay eight or ten more, but the likelihood of being satisfied

is much better, estate or new. My two cents.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I have gotten allot of nice estate pipes from e-bay, but I also was looking at the pictures closely and was looking at the seller. I looked at their rating, and if they have sold pipes on e-bay in the past.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I've been a buyer and a seller of pipes on eBay. I haven't been burned yet. I've purchased about 20, and sold around 7. Like the sages above have stated, research the pipe and ask questions if something is unclear. Be wary of Photoshop too. I would add that if you find one that you just have to have, look into a bid sniper website. Too many times I've lost a pipe in the last minute because I didn't have one. I'd also add that you should check out etsy.com as well. There are some nicely restored pipes on there, and some interesting lesser known crafters as well. Good luck with your search.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Assume the pipe will be in worse shape than advertised especially if the pictures are cruddy. I have bought and sold. Burned maybe a half dozen times. I think 2 of those were the sellers fault, the other ones I didn't look at the description and pics well.I have probably bought a couple hundred pipes on ebay. By burned I mean burned out pipe. Only had one complaint selling,they didn't contact me just left bad feedback. I have sold 50 pipes or more. I usually don't take a chance on something with cruddy pics for more than 10 bucks unless I have really been looking for a certain pipe. I have had gotten a number of unsmoked ones for 10 bucks when there is only one pic as well.

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
Many great points here already, I only have this to add: Ebay pipe sellers have no idea what the word "mint" means. Other hobbies, like vinyl or comics, have official grading systems that help define terms like 'mint' and 'very good condition' for both sellers and buyers. Pipe collecting, not so much. Don't get fooled by ad copy, make sure to ask about the things you need to know.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
:idea:Hmm, maybe a new career opportunity here: Real Estate Pipe Agent. I'd consider hiring one of you to locate a pipe for me for a fixed cost and condition. You find it and keep the difference or get paid a percentage of sales.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
What Sable said.
One other thing, the kvetchers about eBay are those who don't understand it, can't be bothered without checking out the seller, think sniping is some kind of demonic crime against humanity, are absolutely baffled that anyone would outbid them, are clueless about PayPal, etc.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Great advice has been given, but allow me to add my slightly different perspective.
If you enjoy restoring estate pipes or might want to venture into this hobby sometime your strategy might be just a bit different than if you shopping for a ready to smoke pipe in good condition. I look for sellers who really don't know anything about the pipes they are selling. They sometimes misspell or accidentally misrepresent what they are selling to my benefit since most collectors search using very specific terms and nomenclature.
In my case I do want to put in an early bid at the highest I am willing to pay.(Usually no more than ten bucks) From the experience garnered over a couple of years of doing this I feel like the next guy looking at the same item I am might be dissuaded from making a low ball bid if he sees someone else has already shown interest.
It's still important to do the research and know what you looking for, and it there is still some financial risk involved. Setting your budget accordingly is key in avoiding disappointment. If you are just starting keep your budget around ten bucks.
That's my approach. I'm in a somewhat specialized niche but I know there are some likeminded amateur restorers/collectors out there.
I just received a (soon to be) beautiful Yello Bole Imperial from 1936-1939 for next to nothing using this method. It will be my weekend project.

Status
Not open for further replies.