PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
It never ceases to bug the shit out of me when idiots get into bidding wars well before the close of an auction. Even with a few hours to go it's stupid.
Stay calm, lay low, get your bid in at the end. I guarantee you'd pay less for an item if you let a lone bidder believe no one else is interested.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Dottie, eBay is an online virtual fleamarket which allows the stupid and impaired to trade/buy/sell items they don't need in an auction format, all in a sad desperate attempt to fill a hole :(

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Dottie, eBay is an online virtual fleamarket which allows the stupid and impaired to trade/buy/sell items they don't need in an auction format, all in a sad desperate attempt to fill a hole
Like I need another money pit in my life!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nate:
Hush!
You're smart and clever enough to become a Mod here. Find your filter, hoss.
eBay is the great, etherized garage sale. Pick your hobby. Get smart. Be ready.
I smoke better pipes thanks to eBay. My BSA collection thanks eBay. My wardrobe thanks eBay.
Apologies to Uncleblackie for the hijack.
Fnord

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Last second sniping used to work. But now that everyone and their midget pony engages in it, it's not much of an advantage. Watching a half dozen or more snipers dive bomb from the stratosphere and paying 4 to 5 times the market average can be pretty amusing. Bargains can be had on eBay, but for the most part items go for the most the market will bear. That's the nature of auctions. I used eBay because I find items I can't otherwise find. If someone outbids me, fine. There's always something else.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Fnord, Thank you....? I was kidding... I said that I was projecting my own issues :(
Most all of my pipes were purchased through eBay and lately, without rhyme or reason, fountain pens. I HATE eBay because I'm hooked on it like a junkie.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I must be part of a dying breed. If I find something I want on ebay that isn't Buy It Now, I enter the maximum I will spend on it, and wait for the end to see if I won...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dustmite, that's how I generally buy on eBay, but last week I saw something I'd never seen before.
I was looking at a pipe and I placed my "high" bid of $187.77 and with that became the "actual" high bidler at $37.50. A day later someone "topped" my high bid and the new "winning" bid was $190. Thirty minutes later they withdrew their bid and my $37.50 was the "high" bid again. But, it exposed my high bid.
In the end it was all for show because the winning bid was over $400, I just thought it was odd.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I got over EBay. Haven't touched it for several months. Now I'm prepping myself to go back and sell the crap I bought there. :crazy: 8O :oops: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.