PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Being a casual user of Ebay I am coming across more and more sellers stating that they will only leave feedback once the buyer has done so first. Why is this?
As far as I see it, if I place a bid on an item, win the auction then pay immediately (which I always do) then as far as I'm concerned my part of the transaction is complete and I should receive positive feedback to reflect this.
I can't help but wonder if this is some kind of blackmail. For example if I were to leave neutral feedback due to poor packing resulting in minor damage it would then be wrong of the seller to leave neutral or negative feedback for me no?
This has happened to me in the past. I contacted the seller to explain things (including a photo) but my contact was ignored so I felt I had no option other than to leave neutral feedback with an explanation. It was only then the seller contacted me ranting and raving...plus leaving me negative feedback!
Most strange.
Regards,
Jay.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
That used to be the case, a seller would wait to see what kind of feedback they would get first, only then returning the feedback.

Ebay has since updated their feedback system - sellers can no longer leave any feedback BUT positive. So the situation you are describing doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the sellers part anymore. Sellers on ebay are pretty powerless at this point in time.
EDIT: It could be different for ebay UK though! US ebay, sellers can only leave positive feedback and nothing else.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It is a form of blackmail. Sellers can reply to bad feedback. Personally I wait until I consider the transaction complete before posting feedback.
But really, who cares? eBay rating are meaningless. Some of the most reprehensibly reptilian human beings I've dealt with on eBay had 100% ratings. Never put your faith in eBay ratings.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It gives the seller recourse if you give him a bad rating."
Foggy, with all due respect I don't understand your reply.
You start an auction for item X.
I bid on and win item X and pay immediately.
My part of the transaction is now complete (yet I get no feedback).
You post item X to me in a wafer thin jiffy bag.
Item X arrives here damaged so I contact you.
You ignore my e-mail.
I therefore leave neutral feedback.
You then contact me giving me hell for leaving you neutral feedback.
So where does your 'recourse' come into the equation?
Regards,
Jay.
Jravenwood, the instance I described occurred some while ago and I'm not aware of any rule differences either side of the pond.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I completely agree with you Jay. When I do sell, I leave feedback immediately after I receive payment. Their part is done. In 18 years on eBay with 5000+ transactions between buying and selling... I have never got a neg.
As a buyer, I don't leave feedback until they have. Sometimes they send letters soliciting my feedback. In this case, I send them my thoughts.
Selling is at least as much a privilege as buying. In fact, I'd argue selling is more of a privilege.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I once attempted to leave a poor rating for a seller who reneged on a sale. When you do that, Ebay asks you first to contact the seller and work something out. When I did that all I got were all kinds of threats in return. I contacted Ebay and sent them copies of the communications. I never heard back from anybody. I don't think it really pays to leave negative feedback. It's not worth triggering some crazy person.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@cshubhra,
The seller told me she had friends near where I lived. She said by leaving negative feedback I was threatening her family and her livelihood and would respond in turn. She was just nuts.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some years ago I bought a Sheffield made antique penknife from a seller. It arrived with one of the blades missing (not described or in the photograph) so I contacted the seller twice but got no reply. It was then that I left her negative feedback.
About three days later I got a 'phonecall from a crazy woman almost screaming at me for giving her negative feedback! I never knew that was possible so I promptly removed my number from my contact page.
There are plenty of deranged nutters out there as Tuold rightly points out.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some of the most reprehensibly reptilian human beings I've dealt with on eBay had 100% ratings. Never put your faith in eBay ratings.
Here we see the Death Metal Principle in action: whatever most people do, upon reflection, is revealed to be stupid, destructive or pointless.
Most people use eBay because they think that by going through a third party, they are going to have a safe sale. In fact, that is what makes it a prime target for scammers, and so they form little cliques and give each other positive ratings.
Then again, it's much cheaper than buying from a reseller, so people are hooked on the "big scores." I can understand that but it's still not enough to make me want to use eBay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Then again, it's much cheaper than buying from a reseller, so people are hooked on the "big scores." I can understand that but it's still not enough to make me want to use eBay.
That's one of eBay's most enduring myths, one whose siren song lures the suckers to their doom. Bargains can be had on eBay, but more likely are less professionalism, less service, undisclosed defects, and no significant savings. Sometimes prices are higher than retail, and in the case of collectibles, prices can rise to lunacy.
So why, with all of its bullshit, do I use eBay? For one reason, and one reason only. I find things on eBay that I want, that I can find nowhere else.
As far as eBay's rating system, it's also bullshit. To the small extent one can find any meaningful assurance on eBay, one needs to provide one's own by doing due diligence. Otherwise, too bad.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Caveat Emptor is our national motto at this point.
The problem is that bad guys win too often because We The People ("muh freedom") don't care.
Then the next generation grows up accepting dysfunction as normal, and trusting it.
There are great secondary sites, which are specialized, like Discogs.com which I vastly prefer to eBay, since the only thing I would use it for would be purchasing rare death metal.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@cshubhra
That's crazy! And I would assume - a police case. Of course it is a good thing to let go!
Edit - I would have launched a case with the police probably!
Yeah, we should choose our fights carefully. I had a similar experiance with a bad neighbor many years ago. I was ready to bring the law to bear on a guy who was threatening my wife and me. The police advised me to go to the county courthouse, put down a $2000.00 bond and take out a restraining order on the guy. Of course it was my responsibility to get him into court. That didn't go too well. Turned out he was a fairly powerful and feared drug dealer, which is why the apartment manager wouldn't help us even though he was terrorizing the entire complex. The only thing I could do was pack up and move. We were lucky to leave with our lives. Considering that, it doesn't make much sense to get out the guns out over a $60.00 pipe.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
About three days later I got a 'phonecall from a crazy woman almost screaming at me for giving her negative feedback!
Hahaha! I have gotten messages asking me to amend my ratings etc. Recently I bought something with 'free shipping' and I had to go to the post office to pick it up where I was charged $4 postage(apparently responsible for it being held at the post office). Just so many petty, small people out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.