PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
What would you guys do if you bought a pipe that the description said it had been "professionally cleaned", and then got it only to find it had not been cleaned at all?

I stuck a bent pipe cleaner in to brush out this "cleaned" bowl, and it came out solid black! There was a pretty heavy ghosting as well, but I was able to get it cleaned up.

I notified the seller before posting feedback, and he said he cleans them all himself, and he must have made a mistake. Offered to give me a refund, but I declined, since I got it cleaned up and smokable.

Should I give negative feedback? Neutral? Or good, since he offered to make it right?

-PM

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I would contact the seller. If they come clean and say they didn't clean it and apologize, then give them positive feedback. If they say they cleaned it, give negative feedback.

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Agree with shawn622. Generally if they admit their mistakes and try to make it up to you give them Positive. If they act like they don't care of if they act like you are wrong I would give them negative feedback for sure!

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
He did offer to give you a refund, so he did try to make it right. If it were me I would give him positive feedback.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
This is a case where descriptive feedback would be in order. Leave him a positive, but say you were disappointed that the pipe arrived very dirty. Then use the star ratings honestly; leave him 1 star for accurate description of the item.
That way he doesn't just get a pass but you keep a clean conscience.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
The seller did offer a refund that you declined, so he tried to make it right. I would leave a positive and I wouldn't ding him to much on description. I would just mention the condition it came to you in on the feedback. Mistakes do happen and they were willing to make it right.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Thanks guys! I felt like negative feedback probably wasn't justified, so I went with smoker49 on this one, and gave positive feedback overall, but dinged the item description since even though he offered to make it right, I think future buyers should be aware this happened, especially since he sells a lot of pipes, and told me he cleans them himself, so i don't know how much of an "expert" cleaner he is based on my experience.

-PM

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Keep in mind some sellers ban you from their listings permanently if you give them anything less than perfect 5 star feedback in every catagory because their seller fees dramatically rise when you do not.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
just some thoughts

From a customer service standpoint he did Attempt to "make it right" as everyone is saying. A perhaps more appropriate attempt at this would have been "send me back the package priority/overnight, I'll refund you in the amount of the shipping,clean the pipe up, overnight it back...extra coupla day's without the new pipe, still gets cleaned, no Additional cost to you."

I read send it back and get a refund as I'll just sell it to someone else who won't bitch about the cleaning...but that's maybe just me...and since I did not have direct contact with the seller his offer of refund may have been phrased or worded in a way that sounds less like that and more like a genuine trying to make it right.
as to how to review it...be honest...sit down write a pipe journal entry about this seller, and others you may have dealt with including your local B&M. figure out what notes you would put down about them to remind yourself about them if you were looking at buying from them 5 years down the road. Decide from that...those are the notes I want to see when I'm checking other peoples reviews. not just the stars, but here's why. Help a brother out and gimme a book to read in the reviews. if not a book at least an article, one that takes long enough to read that my pipe needs refilled when I'm done. Let me know everything I need to know dealing with a seller in your review. You wouldn't do any less here. And us pipers are searching e-bay too. I'll try to return the favor.

dang that came out more passionate than I thought it was going too.

They may take our pipes, but they'll never take our freedom!!!!!!!!!Scratch that...they can't have our pipes either. :puffy:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Negative feedback on eBay is a big F-you. It's really a black mark for a seller or a buyer, and should be used I think only in special cases.
I bought some briar from a new ebayer (though not a new briar cutter) a few years back, and it was awful. Unuseable. And I sent him a picture, and asked for my money back. He refunded me and also later on sent me replacements, which was super nice. So even though I got crap, I gave him a positive feedback because he solved the problem and backed up his product. I probably could have put him out of the eBay briar game because I would have been one of the first feedbackers. Really could have hurt him, but there was no reason to do so.
This is a similar case, to my mind. A mistake was surely made, and the offer of a refund is literally ALL the guy can do. So, he's a good seller who screwed up. It doesn't sound like the pipe is junk.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Ive never received negative feedback and only left it once. Even when i received a broken beer glass in the mail. I contacted the seller immediately and received a refund without even me sending pics. The one negative feedback i left it was a gross representation of the condition of the item. wasnt worth my time to bother sending it back and didnt want to hear the sellers excuses. wasnt even close.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yavuz, I'm not surprised some folks are opportunistic and just dishonest.

I frequently see "professionaly cleaned" or similar which almost always makes me skeptical. I pretty much always assume that I'll have to soak and clean the pipe and bid accordingly.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I agree with everyone who says DONT leave negative feedback if someone trying hard to make things right.

One question I have though, you said a pipecleaner in the bowl came out dirty ? I wouldnt base a pipes restoration on whether the inside of the tobacco chamber is clean. There is a wide difference of opinion on what a clean bowl should be. Some want it reamed all the way back to bare wood. Others want a reasonable amount of cake left in the bowl. To me, getting a tobacco chamber squeaky clean is not the goal of restoring a pipe ! I always leave a small amount of carbon in the bowl.

I do try hard to make sure the shank and stem are as perfectly clean as possible.

Either way, I'm glad you asked the seller for recourse before damaging their reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.