PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Hello All,
I just acquired the following falcon on eBay. It seems to be in pretty good condition and the seller accepted by low bid offer so I’m happy with the purchase.
33789f.jpg

It looks like it’s a “shorty” or Bantam model? Anyone have any tips on cleaning up the nylon bit for me once I get it?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Congrats on your new to you Falcon.
I haven't had any experience working with nylon bits/stems. You might to a quick forum search or peruse the Pipe Repair & Maintenance forum here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipe-repair-and-maintenance
If you're simply looking to do a cursory clean and sanitize you might consider starting with bristle cleaners and alcohol, then moving to taper cleaners and eventually regular cleaners until the draught hole and shank come clean. I'd finish the stem with a wipe down using alcohol and a cotton ball. I use 99% isopropyl alcohol for all cleaning.
-- Pat

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Just keep in mind that those bits do not come out like a normal stem...you have to use heat or cold, so if you are content with cleaning it while it's attached that would be the easiest.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After talking with Mike at WalkerBriarWorks, the stem should not to be removed, therefore he couldn't replace it with a nice lucite stem.
After I had cleaned the inside of my Falcon with Everclear, I turned it upsided down in a cup of bleach water (12:1 ratio) careful not to get any on the aluminum. It soaked for about 1 hour, then I rinsed it in hot water, and started polishing the stem with Brebbia mouthpiece polish. Do not put the aluminum in the bleach water - it will turn dark and ugly and take a lot of polishing to bring it back.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I understand some of the intricacies of cleaning these pipes. I was just throwing a line out to see if there are any new experiences with these bits. I don't know if I'll like this dental bit, you won't know until you try it.
Whenever I've had a problem with a seller, eBay or PayPal's buyer protection has always come through. My first red flag of a bad seller is someone who doesn't leave feedback right away. If they are waiting for my comments then they seem fishy to me. Right now the pipe is in transit and she left positive feedback. So all is well.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Congrats! Smoked mine this morning.
After you get it cleaned up, I know some use a pipe cleaner, round it around the base of the aluminum bowl and snip it, making a little moisture filter. I don't, but they do tend to get gunk filled pretty quickly. I just pour a little rum in it, then hit it with a hooked pipe cleaner.

Aug 1, 2012
The nylon stems should be cleaned in soap and water as far as I remember. Also, I know many don't like them but I love the dental bit I've got on my Alpha. It makes clenching more of a sure grip.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the Never-Dull recommendation. I plan on using this pipe as a utilitarian pipe. Working around the house, walking the baby, etc. I'd like to get it that over restored look you see on some classic cars before I use it.
My wife has one of the ultrasound jewlry cleaners that I thought would be perfect for an initial cleaning. Also while running an errand today, I thought about polishing the bit with one of those kits for polishing plastic eyeglass lenses or CD/DVD'S. We'll see what I decide.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Hi All,
Here's the pipe after clean up, thanks to Don Warren (dwpipes), and fitted with a proper bowl (bantam). Don was curious because I called it a shorty and he asked for the markings. After I informed him that there were none, he became curious and contacted Kathy A. Worth, author of "Back from the ashes" about the pipe. They stated it was circa '61-'62 and could be a production prototype. Very Interesting!!
20130824_192306.jpg

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks. I'm putting together falcon bowls for dedicated blends. i.e. Aero, Virginia's, Burley's, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.