Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Made a purchase on February 6 for an estate pipe from this seller:
http://myworld.ebay.com/cargyll
I paid same date, literally within minutes of winning the auction, via Paypal. Payment was completed, per Ebay and Paypal, within about a day.
Since then, i have had no contact from seller, and no item has been shipped. According to Ebay, the item has not been listed as shipped, via the seller. He has not responded to any of my contacts vi his email, or via Ebay.
From looking at his history of purchases and his "sales literature", he apparently buys estate pipes and refurbishes them.
Ebay will not let me open a formal complaint until February 26, but with zero communication and zero pipe in the mail, it is apparent that something is not right. Fortunately, I have taken a hit less than $20 on this thing, so it is more frustration than financial burden.
In context, another pipe purchased same day, same method, was delivered within about 5 days.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
here is the text that accompanies his sales ads on Ebay:
"This Mastercraft Standard briar pipe is a great classic pipe. With it's beveled bowl and slightly thicker rim make this pipe look a great old fashioned billiard. There is slight chatter on the stem, but the pipe is in otherwise great condition. Sanitized and buffed, this pipe is ready to smoke. The stem and bowl have been reamed and sanitized via an alcohol retort. The stem has been deoxidized and a new coat of carnauba wax has been applied over the whole pipe. I also offer a full S&A sanitization (removal of ghost flavors) for an additional charge, please inquire. This is a used pipe and is being sold as is, though I do offer a 3 day return option minus shipping costs. Additional photos can be added upon request. I currently only ship within the continental U.S.A. I will discount shipping for multiple items. This listing is for the pipe in focus and in the foreground. No you can't have my broken filter or my tee-shirt."

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
I don't wanna sound grim but with an 100% positive feedback do you think its possible him/her may have passed away before they could send your stuff? theres no seller feedback also?

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I don't care to speculate as to "why", as it would be pure speculation. If he is dead, there will be no more ebay sales, and nobody else will be effected.
If he is having some other issue(s) in regards to this pipe delivery, or life in general, maybe he ought get them taken care of. In such a case, I would not like to see others send money for pipes and not get them.
My experiences with ebay, as buyer and seller, have been mostly positive. My one bad experience came from selling a large electronic piece (vintage videocam). The buyer wanted it to be shipped overnight, and I wanted it insured. As a result, the shipping was about $40, and he shortchanged me the shipping. He bought the item on auction for its final sales amount, and then refused to pay for the shipping after it had been sent, and then gave me bad feedback for overcharging the shipping. I "went on his reputation", based upon his feedback ratings and his previous purchases of similar items from other sellers. My mistake for not getting the money prior to each step.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
There are possible sound reasons that this Seller has not acted as yet...

I don't have inside information on this situation, but it is possible that

the guy's computer died, personal trouble in the family or something else.

It's frustrating not knowing what's going on, but things could still get

done.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have good luck with flea bay . But never bid on a pipe that you can not see the stem on in the pictures . As it is probably been chewed through . Mind you I have never purchased a pipe for more than 30 bucks on flea bay . Half the fun for me is cleaning up a old pipe and making it come back to life . As for high dollar estates I like Marty Pulver . Recently my wife went into the pipe shop with me . As I gazed over the display cases she said why dont you get one . After she saw the prices she lost her enthusiasm rather quickly . About every two years she will let me get a new pipe or buy me one I have been drooling over . Buyer beware .

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I always say give it two weeks and if no communication has taken place since then, than you have been duped! Luckily you paid via pay-pal so you will get you money back in due time!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I especially hate it when shipping takes a month, and then the seller claims "that is normal" when you clearly can see the postage stamp having the date of a week before it arrived. (and then gets angry and upset at getting a neutral feedback)
If the seller had even bothered to contact me about the delay it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Hope you get your pipe. One of the many reasons I am very reluctant and hesitate to start ebay shopping. But there are so many pipes out there that need a home!!!

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I purchased A pipe from the same guy, paid for it on feb 6, ETA according to ebay 21 to 24 feb. He list his shipping time as 4 to 13 business days. Still hasen't arrived yet

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
You gotta be careful when dealing on the bay. I

agree, It is a bit odd the seller has no items for sale at this time.
Thanks for the heads up, portacat. I'll stay clear of Cargyll.

Good luck with the outcome.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I've only gotten one pipe that I was actually upset with the seller about, and even that was partly my fault. If I had looked up Medico I would have known they make brylon pipes and that I might be buying one. But they ought to have put a little note. I probably still would have bought it, but I wish I'd known I was buying a pipe I wouldn't be smoking.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Something is definitely wrong.

Any ebay purchase should ship within a few days.

I have bought and sold a fair amount of stuff (mostly golf clubs) on flea-bay and have only had one problem -- a buyer who didn't have the money to pay for the auction he won. It took a couple of weeks to resolve.

I've bought a couple of estate pipes on ebay. In both cases the pipes had multiple pictures in the listing and a detailed description, the delivery was prompt and the pipes were in very good shape. They're both good smokers.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
I have been very lucky with ebay. Of course I limit my purchases to only two sellers;

David Jones (jones6725) AND coopersark. I have never gone wrong with either of these very honest men.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've been lucky buying pipes on Ebag and I have bought a bunch of them. There are several good pipe sellers. When buying from someone who evidently doesn't know pipes I will ask for more info or pictures-and always check out their feedback.

Hopefully this guy comes through for you. His feedback seems mostly for buying -he has bought pipes from several longtime pipe sellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.