eBay estate pickup and pipe ID help (picture heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
So I picked up a couple estate pipes off eBay the other day and was wondering if I could get a little help with the ID/background information on some of them. All the pipes look to be in pretty good shape just need a good cleaning. Looking forward to trying my hand in restoration/cleanup. Not looking to resell any of them, just cleanup and beef up the rotation of pipes.
This pipe has 73A and KIKO stamped on it along with Made in Tanganyika. I looked this up and found Kiko is Swahili-Kiswahili for Pipe. Looked a little further and possible a pipe made in Tanganyika (what is now Burundi, Tanzania and Rwanda) between 1961 and 1964?

This has Mastercraft Standard stamped on it. Pipedia said it basically is a company owned by Grabow. Might have a replacement stem, Mastercraft stamps M/C on it and can't see one anywhere.

Forester Made in England stamped on the bottom and an F with a circle on the stem. Couldn't find anything for this company.

Kaywoodie White Briar with possibly the number 51 stamped on the side?

Leonesa Brutus

The final pipe is stamped Antique Shell 1025 Italy on the bottom. Antique Shell is by Savinelli and they are Italy produced, so I'd assume them. Just not sure on the 1025 in terms of possibly date range?

Also got this pipe holder with everything.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The KIKO is a neat find. Only the earliest of these would be stamped Tanganyika, as Tanganyika became part of Tanzania in 1964. Most of the KIKOs you will see are stamped Tanzania.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
I believe the KIKO does, inside is pretty dirty, here's a picture though. I thought that it was either super caked or possibly lined.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a meer lining. You will have to spend quite a while sanding the bowl with fine abrasive papers, but you can probably salvage the lining.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Actually, do not start with too fine a paper - you might drive yourself mad. On heavily caked meers, I start with 220 grit sandpaper.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Well I was thinking of getting a meer lined pipe, so I might hold off on restoring that. I want to get a handle on what to do and not to do before I tackle something I really want down the road. Decided to start with the Mastercraft, some build up and rim char. Took the stem out and everything is caked with gunk so plenty of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.