PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
This past week Ebay stopped several 'Sealed Tin' auctions. Eventually they decided that tins are okay, bags are not okay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No, John, it's not about protecting the buyer. It's about them not wanting to facilitate the sale of tobacco intended for consumption. Yet they still want to turn a buck. So they allow the sale of "tins" ostensibly for the collector, not consumption value. At least that's what they tell themselves.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah... that's the way I see it. A tin can be considered as a collectible item and its sold under the pretense that the contents are not for consumption. A bag would never make under the eBay radar (rules) as a collectible item.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
But bags of old RYO sell all the time.

A bag of Esoterica is just a bag of Duke's that's biding its time.....
e30197b.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's true. Then again, I've not really payed that much attention to the baccy sold on eBay other than purchasing some older dated Christmas Cheer. Upon reading the OP's post I'm not quite sure what he means by:
Eventually they decided that tins are okay
eBay has been selling tins for a long time now. Just out of curiosity I'd be interested in knowing what sealed tin auctions eBay stopped?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
All tins I have seen for auction have been for "collectible value of the packaging" with the wording "contents are not for consumption," which we all know is a "wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more."

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@cmdr: But the real question is: Is she a goer?
@Phil, they sent me a form letter reply stating that I was in violation of policy:
Hello woodsroad,

We noticed that item(s) offered for sale on this account weren’t listed in accordance with our Tobacco Products policy. We realize you may not have been aware of this policy, or that this may have been a simple oversight, so we're including some policy information to help you with your future listings and to make sure they don't run into any problems. We also had to take the following actions:

- Listings that didn't follow eBay guidelines have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.

- We have credited any associated fees to your account.

Due to strict government regulations, eBay doesn't allow the sale of most tobacco products. This includes cigarettes, cigars, herbal cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco. E-cigarettes also aren’t allowed on eBay. We realize e-cigarettes don’t contain tobacco. But due to a lack of globally consistent or clearly established regulations for the sale of these items, eBay has made the decision to not allow the sale of e-cigarettes or their components.
You may sell collectible packaging that contains tobacco if the package is unopened and the required tobacco statements are included in your listing.
The following items are not considered collectibles, and they are not allowed to be listed or sold on eBay:

- Cigars in cellophane wrapping

- Collectible tobacco, including a listing that describes the tobacco instead of its collectible packaging

- Tobacco products packaged in classic packaging
If you include photos in your listing, you need to display the actual item for sale. Stock photos are not allowed.
For more information on this policy and disclaimers required for collectibles, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/tobacco.html
You listed a tobacco product, which is commonly available at retail outlets. Thank you for using our site to list this item, but please do not relist this. We would have loved to explain this to you over a phone call, however, this item was removed outside of our calling hours. (9:00 AM to 9:00 PM MST)
Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with this information and be sure that future listings follow these guidelines. Keep in mind that if further items aren't listed in accordance with our policy, it could result in additional action including account restrictions or loss of buying and selling privileges on eBay.
If you have any more questions, contact our policy experts.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cusr?query=508&domain=email1384
Here are the listings we removed:

351134264115 - RARE TIN! Dan Tobacco - Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend - Sealed!

Thanks,
eBay
Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 woodsroad
Yeah, give it a little time and start your listings from scratch with the wording "contents not to be smoked, only for collectible packaging."

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Folks, I should explain that the reason for my ebay sale is that about two weeks ago, I was the lucky recipient of a heart attack. Long story short, they put a stent in, no visible heart damage, I will make a full recovery. I will not, however, be able to continue consuming tobacco at the rate that I had been. In fact, I will not be smoking anything for the next 6 months to a year, perhaps longer. So I've made some decisions to pare down the cellar. If and when I resume, I will be smoking my own blends primarily. So, bit by bit, I'll be selling off most of the cellar. Not that I want to, but a change is warranted. I will, however, continue to buy whole leaf tobacco. Might even plant some come spring.
I'll still be helping out with the Box Pass, and I'll remain active here on the PM Forums, much to the chagrin of the good and decent folk here. I attended the last Lehigh Valley Pipe Club, didn't smoke, and had as good a time as always. It's the people that matter, and I'm not about to give up on the great friendships that have come my way via pipe and leaf.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Damn, get better, take it easy and I'm sure plenty of us around here would be willing to help you unload that cellar.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep... wording is everything especially those words made to ones wife, girlfriend, and of course on forum sites. lol

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Get well, Woodsroad. I hope you have a full recovery, and that everything works out for the best for you and your family.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Woodsroad, can I tell everybody the real reason that you told me as to why you're quitting?"
Drats, foiled again.
Thanks for the thumbs up folks.

As Bob Marley opined: "Everything's gonna be alright". Of course, he was dead within 7 years of writing that, but, you know, it's the idea that's important, right?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Sorry, but when I made my last post (as can happen on forum sites) I did not see your post and what you were going through woodsroad. Hang in there my man! :wink:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Actually, Phil, your folo post was quite apropos!
@Trailboss: My mom always says "Everything in moderation". She's 89, a two-time cancer survivor. She's out lived her husband and one of her two children. I think that's enough sacrifice for one person.
I think that the reason that many people fail dieting or other lifestyle changes (speaking as a failed dieter), is that they deny themselves pleasure. Ferinstance: Ice cream, one of my great pleasures, will be almost verbotten now. But not completely. On occasion, I'll still have a small dish of the highest fat, tastiest ice cream that I can find. It just won't be every day, every week or every month.
I packed away all of my 'baccy stuff today. I like knowing that it's all safe and sound, gathering age and anticipation. But until my cardiologist tells me that I'm healed, and I've lost a lot of weight, I'll settle for the anticipation part of the enjoyment.
Now, to all you people who are out of shape, overweight, eating whatever you damn well please, smoking like a fiend, and doing just dandy...dude, I am so-o-o-o-o-o jealous.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Dan,
I'm glad to hear the recovery will be a full one, and I can understand that decisions are to be made fir your well being. You are quite the character, and I'm glad you'll still be active in the forums.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Get well soon, Woodsroad. I would bid on some of your auctions, but I am not fond of latikia.

Status
Not open for further replies.