PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
hey all! i see a lot of you all buying pipes off ebay. ive just started looking on there for pipes as id like to expand my collection(i only have one now). anything i should look for or stay away from? im not looking to shell out a lot as cash isnt plentiful at this point. any tips would be much appreciated!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You should also check out www.shopgoodwill.com. I just got 4 pipes for $12. In fact, there is a Pete in a group of 4 right now.

As for what to look for. Whatever appeals to you but be prepared to do a thorough cleaning and polishing job on your purchases. I'm sure that some of the ebay experts here will offer helpful advice.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
If you're patient, members here consistently post pipes for sale, you typically get a better pipe at a better price that way.
++++++
I have had some very weird experiences on EBAY. Have gotten some good pipes, but also some screwy deals and situations.
All of my pipe purchases/trades here have been, at worst, very satisfactory. And some really awesome ones, as well.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Stay away from that Pete group on there... mine.. all mine... :twisted:
But I'll sell you the other ones in that lot ;-)
Bubblehead: What are you looking for ? Straight, Bent, smooth, rusticated, ... ? Marmal is right. Members here can hook you up with some beginner pipes.
If you want to buy new, the site sponsors all have decent pipes for under $70. Any good briar pipe (or cob) will get you going. On eBay stay away from anything stone, plastic or otherwise made in China. :rofl:

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
cool! thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming haha. Mick, i really dig the bent Dublin by Peterson. actually, any of the bent stem pipes appeal to me, dunno why. as far as the finish goes im not really fussy on what it is,as long as it smokes good.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Well, if you're looking on Ebay, the stuff you should stay away from is any pipe with the name or description as "Durable" in the name, or something listed as coming from China, they are all junk.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
I have a bunch of estate pipes.Just need a little cleaning.will give you a great deal.

pm me if interested.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I like ebay for finding certain makers that do not show up too often. I collect a couple of makers and have never seen one of their pipes for sale on a forum. You have to know what you're looking for, know your prices, and if the seller doesn't seem to be a top notch guy, like Coopersark or Pipestud, you need to ask a lot of questions, and make sure you have a return option. That said, I do agree that you will, on average, do better on the forum.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Stay away from anything that has a metal or vinyl or plastic lined bowl on ebay, the look nice, and they are cheap but they are baaaaad in every way.
+1 on posts for here
Just search estate pipes, find one that is briar that you like the look of, the name usually doesnt matter, and have some fun.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I have had very good luck with Ebay - just a couple of stinkers. The only downsize is that I have a lot of pipes and only one mouth to smoke them in. At some point in the future I will be selling, giving alot a way or donating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.