PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
So I've been looking into restoring pipes and I see the deals for bowls only. Looks like you can get a good deal on a lot of bowls this way. I'm wondering if it's worth/easy to replace stems if your not 100% sure of the maker. I can find plenty of sites that have the stems but they come in tons of sizes and shapes. Is it a matter of personal preference for shape and then just sanding down to exact fit? Basically I'm looking to add to my collection/rotation without spending $60-70 for every new pipe. My thoughts are just cleaning up the bowls and then measuring the opening of the shank and finding stems with tenons of similar but larger size to sand down? Or am I way off and need to read and do a lot more research?

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I think many may tell you to try to avoid unless have a lathe to turn the tendons down on.
I don't think it would be impossible(after all there was a time that lathes weren't available), but my advice, if decide to go that way, would be to pick up just a stem and see how difficult it is to fit for a pipe/bowl you already own vs. buying a bowl to find out later if it is outside of you skill or interest level.(better to be out the $4-5 for the stem blank vs. the $20-30 for the bowl)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree with Sam. Getting the tenon properly sized and the stem faced so that it sets flush against the shank is not easy without some tools- a tenon cutter at least. Then you gotta work the stem down to the shank diameter without scuffing the shank-unless you're gonna refinish the pipe but even then you gotta watch out for the nomenclature.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like how you're thinking. Stems are a critically important component, and it would be really handy to have a skill set that you've developed to make or modify replacements.

It would give you access to inexpensive quality briar nuggets and also give you the choice of stem.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I will mix and match stems,bowls periodically. It is all for fun and a hobby. Takes awesome amount of time to git the right fit and sometimes not at all. But when one does come together properly, it's rewarding. Let's just say, that over the years, you will aquire a vast number of stems and bowls, just looking for that perfect "Mate" for it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I think many may tell you to try to avoid unless have a lathe to turn the tendons down on.
Come on guys, watch some youtube videos, you can't mount a finished stem in a lathe that I'm aware of.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Did you mean for making a new stem? I don't think there's any way to mount a finished stem in a lathe.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
It can be done. All you need is an adapter made from nylon/delrin which clamps the button. The support is needed on the other end of the stem.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Did you mean for making a new stem? I don't think there's any way to mount a finished stem in a lathe.
Yes,it can be done with a tool similar to this one. A friend in Tenn. made this one for me and I've done many stems with it.

stem-turning-tool-2014-01-06-002-1280x960-600x450.jpg

stem-turning-tool-2014-01-06-004-1280x960-600x450.jpg

K

klause

I've seen pre-Republic Peterson bowls go for a song. Replacement stem only €26. Put 'em together and you have a bargain. So, in this context, yes.
As for others, give it a whirl - it's all about the fun, after all. If it floats your boat, go for it, and enjoy the journey.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"I've seen pre-Republic Peterson bowls go for a song. Replacement stem only €26. Put 'em together and you have a bargain. So, in this context, yes."
Klause makes an excellent point here. I am doing the same thing with a Sasieni Four Dot family-era Regent bowl which I purchased (sans stem) from an eBay seller. An excellent quality replacement stem (complete with dots) from NightOwl Pipeworks will be only $94.00 delivered. When coupled with my bowl I will have what should be a great smoker at a very attractive price. Granted, it's not a Sasieni stem, but according to those who should know it's the closest thing I'll find to one. Besides, I'm looking for a good quality pipe which will deliver a great smoke, not a collector's item.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
So am I missing something, is it not as simple as buying this and just trimming it to fit inside a bowl?
http://www.pipemakers.org/images/lucitestems/images/255.jpg
I know not all bowls are the same, some have tenon some don't and bowls have different sizes for the stem. But the idea of measuring out the opening and going from there to buy a stem to fit it won't necessarily work? Not looking to resell or be an exact collector match to original condition.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I do both, for both myself and customers, and have for many years. Yes, you can figure out how to fit premade bits. But why, in the beginning? You can score whole pipes for a song, learn how to restore, have some pipes in your rotation, AND THEN get the equipment and skills needed to actually fit new stems to bowls. I bought 4 whole pipes this morning for $60.00, in great shapes, with minimal restoration needed. Why buy half a pipe?

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Good point. I guess I see the possibility of buying 20-30 bowls for $50 and think its an amazing deal and will set me for a long time and also if I destroy a few bowls while learning how to restore correctly it's not the end of the world.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
For me it's worth it. Im within an hours drive of two pipe shops where I can buy stem blanks. I can just take a bowl with me and find a stem thatll fit. I try not to buy bowls on their own but if I buy a lot with a few stemless bowls its no big deal.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have occasionally bought bowls from makers whose pipes I could not afford if the pipes were complete. What I have learned, however, is that replacement stems worthy of the excellent bowls often cost $75-100. You just need to make careful calculations prior to buying just a bowl. Huntertrw provides a great example of how a fella can do well by purchasing only a bowl and then having a stem made to fit it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
So am I missing something, is it not as simple as buying this and just trimming it to fit inside a bowl?
http://www.pipemakers.org/images/lucitestems/images/255.jpg
I know not all bowls are the same, some have tenon some don't and bowls have different sizes for the stem. But the idea of measuring out the opening and going from there to buy a stem to fit it won't necessarily work? Not looking to resell or be an exact collector match to original condition.
No,it's really not that simple. Sure you can buy a stem that is close to the right size and file or sand it to fit the mortise but getting it to fit right in the mortise doing that way is quite hard. Usually you'll end up with a taper on the tenon which you don't want--for most pipes. The face of the stem that sits up against the shank needs to be cut usually or you'll end up with a gap part way around.

Most molded stems,especially acrylic stems have a very shallow funnel and aren't drilled big enough inside to give a decent draw. That requires more tools-- tapered drill bits and needle files.
I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to say that it is not quick and easy . Molded stems are cheap and you've seen some bowls can be picked up cheaply so if you want to try your hand at re-stemming some bowls have at it-- and have fun! Be prepared to spend some money if you want to do it right--and easier.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Ah perfect, well maybe that'll be something to try down the road. For now I'll stick with whole pipes and go from there. Thanks everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.