PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I just noticed this morning that almost every one of the pipes I'm bidding on or watching have multiple bid retractions on them. One auction is currently sitting at $100 with 6 total bids and 16 retractions. It's interesting that I can only see the retracted bids when viewing from my smart phone...they do not show up on my PC or laptop.
For the auctions I've been watching these fake and retracted bids don't seem to be placed to drive up the price, rather to find out what the high bid is. I'm assuming to help that buyer come in at the last minute without overspending and to help them not waste time on auctions that will go too high.
I guess I'm not shocked that this happens on eBay, I am a little surprised however that it is happening so much on these pipe auctions. I thought there would be a little more honor within the piping community to rise above things like this. In the end, I guess there are dishonest people everywhere.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Last weekend, I noticed a surprising number of retracted bids on several auctions. To that point, I can't recall the last time I saw a retracted bid.
I won this pipe, but at the end of the auction, I noticed it had a high number of retracted bids (which made me think uh-oh, do those folks know something I don't?). Now, it doesn't list any and I can't find any current auctions that I'm watching with retracted bids. Either I don't understand how they work, or something was afoot last weekend.
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=371296826101&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
I've noticed this a lot too with the pipes I follow. On two pipes the pipes sold but were relisted the following week. Very strange. I've also seen low or no volume bidders dramatically upping the price then dropping out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
On certain sellers I see bid retractions all the time. They are well known no reserve guys and I know for a fact they are using shills and they also allow the people who actually own the pipe, too jack up the bid and if for some reason the owner wins, they just re list it and pay the seller the re listing fees. It is no sweat off the balls of the seller to re list if the client is paying the tab. I never bid on anything where there are bid retractions, even if the price is good, I will not give my money to scum.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I got nipped at the last second on a pipestud auction last Sunday afternoon. At one point the price fell backwards which confused me at first. It was caused by a retraction by a guy who was $50 out in front of us. I was disappointed.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Over the years I have had few problems with bid retraction abuse, which actually is more often due to unscrupulous buyers. They want to see what the highest bid is on a particular pipe. They then retract the bid and usually list the reason for the retraction as being for "Entered wrong bid amount." Then, they are never heard from again despite the following Bid Retraction rules by eBay -
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/invalid-bid-retraction.html
Unscrupulous sellers will abuse the bid retraction eBay policy by having someone bid very high on a particular pipe early in an auction and then, after a lot of bids have been placed, will have their "shill" retract his bid. This artificially raises the price of the pipe he is selling.
Sellers are notified every time a bid is retracted on one of their auctions. I always go to the item to see who retracted a bid. I then go to that individual's bid retraction history. If the person has 1 or 2 bid retractions in a year's time then I figure it is a legitimate retraction. If the individual has 100 retractions in a year, I report the person to eBay and put that individual on my blocked bidder list. Fortunately, this happens only once or twice a year.
And, it is easy to find out from your PC or any other device an eBay member's bid retraction history. Just click on that individual's feedback profile, and then click "Feedback as a Buyer." To the right above the feedbacks you will see the feedback history. I have cut/pasted below from an actual member's profile to show you what I am talking about -
Recent Feedback ratings (last 12 months)

1 month 6 months 12 months

Positive feedback rating Positive 1 1 1

Neutral feedback rating Neutral 0 0 0

Negative feedback rating Negative 0 0 0

Detailed seller ratings (last 12 months)

This information will be available when this member receives at least 10 detailed seller ratings.
Feedback as a seller Feedback as a buyer All Feedback Feedback left for others
1 Feedback Received Bid retractions (last 12 months): 0
I hope this info helps!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Over the years I have had few problems with bid retraction abuse, which actually is more often due to unscrupulous buyers. They want to see what the highest bid is on a particular pipe. They then retract the bid and usually list the reason for the retraction as being for "Entered wrong bid amount." Then, they are never heard from again despite the following Bid Retraction rules by eBay -
That makes a lot of sense and yet another reason why not to enter your maximum bid until the last seconds. I hadn't considered this reason.
Do you know why in the example that I linked above, the bid retractions I observed when the auction ended, are now no longer listed/visible?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Yes. In the auction mentioned above, I did not show my hand until 3 minutes to go. That was still too early. Lesson learned. In the old days of dial-up connections you had to be careful of a glitch when trying to place a late bid. But now the inter-webs are so fast you can do a 3 second thing. That is how I lost.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
There's been some really aggressive bidding by overly enthusiastic, unknowledgeable, and clearly clueless people.
Hmm, how did you know I was the bidder?
Seriously, these tips will save me some time and aggravation. My take-away is hold off bidding until the last few seconds. I like the cigar bid systems with some of the big online systems much better. I wond a few of those and got some really excellent deals.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'm sure there is some questionable stuff going on at times with ebay, but as a person whos has sold alot on it. My "Bid Block List" is ever growing. On many occasions I have had people win a pipe and then not pay for it. Last time I sold, A guy won auction and then insisted that I change my shipping price and send in a padded envelope. I cancelled the deal and had to relist. This kinda things happen all the time, so if you see items relisted, don't assume that something shady is going on. It might have been just a deal gone bad!

Why don't I just put my unwanted pipes on here???? I would love too! But for some reason I can rarely get a stinkin picture to upload here. And also I have had members here screw me on ebay (SAD) but over there I can atleast have some protection, without slamming their name around.. Cause thats just bad form!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Steve, I did not realize bidders were doing that, thanks for posting that.
I also want to tell everyone that my previous post had nothing to do with Pipestud aka Steve. He is the most reputable seller I have ever come across on ebay and his reputation is above reproach. He would never allow a consignee to play games and he would never use shills. He is a guy who is as honorable as they come.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I would stay away from any auction that had multiple retractions. It is shady and I wouldn't do business with a seller who has those.
The more I look at this I'm having a hard time finding any active auctions on pipes, that should sell for $150 or more, without lots of retracted bids. Most of the pipes I'm watching now have 15 or more retracted bids on them. I've only found a small handful of pipes on ebay with no retracted bids and all of the ones I found had a starting bid of $100 or more.
To me this appears to be driven more by the buyers and not the sellers. These retracted bids are not being used to drive up the price as much as they appear to be used to figure out the current bidder's max bid really is.
I'm also guessing that some of this is being done by bots. During one of the last auctions I was in, my bid was maxed out at $100 for about 36 hours. That amount was the max limit on my bid and in that 36 hours there were 6 more retracted bids. My phone is setup to automatically notify me when I'm outbid and I never received any notifications. The bids would have to be made and then retracted within a few seconds to silence the automated alerts that normally go out.
As far as a strategy to combat this I tend agree with a few other posters that there isn't really much that can be done apart from waiting to bid at all until the last seconds of an auction.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
To me this appears to be driven more by the buyers and not the sellers
The catch here bernie2, is when the seller is using a different account and acting as the buyer. If you see a bunch of bid retractions on an auction it should be another red flag to you as the buyer. Similar red flags should be thrown up if you see fuzzy photos, unclear descriptions, prior feedback issues, warnings about sellers on this forum etc.
An educated buyer is more likely to NOT be ripped off. Some people stay away from any auction with any red flag, others ask more questions of the seller and proceed only when the questions are answered correctly and still others may proceed carefree and easy. Only you can decide which camp you want to make your home in.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I was watching 3 pipes from a guy I had purchased a nice pipe at a reasonable price last month. He has a good number of Mastro de Pajas lately in used but great condition higher end pipes. I checked in on them they still had 3-5 days left. Bang they were gone. Thought it was my phone or the software I was using. Finally looked him up on line and he has nothing???? Usually has any number of pipes.

I thought maybe it was because they were not getting a lot of attention. But I never bid until the last minute a majority of the time. Surely that was not it. Maybe he just decided he started them out too low? Go figure. :cry:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have noticed lately people going in and just pounding the price on day 1 and 2. It generally looks to me like new folks that do not get bidding strategy. I know sometimes a more experienced buyer just taps in when it is down around 5 or 6 bucks. But lately these guys are jumping it way out of the park the first 2 days. When that happens I just refocus on other interest, but it bugs me anyway.

But that is what auctions are all about, sellers are looking to get as much as possible. Buyers are looking for bargain. There in lies the game. Unscrupulous buyers or sellers need to be hung up by the mousing digits :evil:

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
The catch here bernie2, is when the seller is using a different account and acting as the buyer...
@petguy - I agree with your comments 100% and I think it's very possible to mark and avoid sellers that use other accounts to drive up their auctions. Obvious red flags like fuzzy pictures or limited descriptions are also easy to spot and avoid.
The main point I'm trying to make is that this is more widespread then a few sellers using alternate accounts to drive up their own prices. As I mentioned before there are retracted bids on just about every mid to high value pipe auction on eBay right now. From my limited sampling, say around 50 auctions reviewed today and another 50 from yesterday, I'm seeing retracted bids on more than 90% of the $100+ pipe auctions out there. It actually is pretty difficult to find an active auction for a decent pipe that doesn't have a half dozen or more bid retractions on it.
I just looked through all of the auctions (with bids approaching or over $100) from probably the most respected eBay seller from this forum. Every single one of those auctions has multiple retracted bids. I guarantee you that the seller hasn't placed the 6 retracted bids on his own Dunhill or the 14 retracted bids on his Rad. This has to be dishonest buyers simply fishing to find other buyers high bids to see if these auctions are worth their time.
I guess it really doesn't matter much either way. In the end these buyers driving up prices or cheating to figure out someone max bid to help win an auction in the end will just help me loose more auctions.
From the sake of my marriage, loosing more eBay auctions is a pretty good thing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.