Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
While there is nothing great about the ebay "post family" Barling, there's nothing wrong with it either. Managed to get some decent pics and am happy with the purchase other than the stain is a little blotchy.
imgp7588-600x400.jpg

imgp7586-600x400.jpg

imgp7585-600x400.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm curious, is there any markings concerning where it was made? England, Denmark? It does look to be in excellent condition.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Yes its after transition or after family......Barling in script with London England below that and then VINTAGE in caps below that. Bottom has the 4 digit shape #. Its in great shape the Barling cross on the stem is perfect. Just a little rim darkening. Does not looked like it was smoked much.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great looking pipe and I hope it proves to be a wonderful smoker.
Your early Bay pixs made me think this burner would have that really dark stain so many manufacturers used in the 50's and 60's: popular choice or maybe used for cosmetic purposes. (I've got several estates from that time frame and, while excellent pipes, the coloring certainly doesn't enhance the grain.)
Yours is as pretty as can be, RX2.
Nice catch.
Fnord

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Fnord, that is exactly it but there was only 1 small fill so not hiding much.
Sablebrush, I am still fighting a sinus infection, really sucks as I have not had a smoke in weeks.
I dewaxed it, rubed it doen with wood alcohol and next rum. It got some of the excess stain off, then a light wet sanding with 3600, 4000, and 6000. Looks a lot better, I dont usually refinish pipes as I like to keep how they made it but sometimes it has to be done IMO.
Jeremy it still looks the same just pops more, almost a tigers eye stone look.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Rx
I'm sorry I didn't see the before pictures, but this pipe looks magnificent.
Hope you get better soon to enjoy that baby.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Allan, the before pics are in another thread, same title......well close to the same

Status
Not open for further replies.