PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Can anyone shed some light on why this seller is allowed to continue listing tobacco that you can still buy on the market, while my listings were removed and I was given a 3 day selling suspension? I tried listing them (twice several weeks apart) simply because I've saved dozen's of other seller's completed auctions of similar tobacco. :crazy: 8O
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171790897768?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have been wondering about this myself. I have seen recently a ton of current production tobacco successfully complete seven day listings.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371320808839?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This seller had several similar listings run to completion.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have no clue.

Ebay pulled several of my listings for 1970s-1980's Dunhill tins..... I included the disclaimer and copied/pasted ebays 'Rules"........ They still pulled them down! :evil:

Meanwhile, I watch THIS run a full 7 days, then the guy re-lists it and it appears it will run full term again.... :crazy:

Are those "collectible bags" or something?? I'll never understand it I guess..........

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
WOW... now that is really weird and a blatant listing of something that is not allowed to be sold on eBay according to their 'rules'!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My understanding is that you can sell the tins as collectors items. When you look at the link buroak supplied they are advertised as tobacco tins. Technically they are not selling Tobacco on Ebay they are selling the collectable cans. They just happen to be full of tobacco. So how you list is probably important. Selling or facilitating the sale of tobacco brings all sorts of controls into play. I can understand why Ebay would want to avoid it. Their lawyers probably found a loophole with the collectable cans aspect.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have to be sure to call your item "collectible" and no longer in production or available (even if that isn't true)".
Try to remember eBay is trying to avoid the "do gooders" who would scream to high heaven that they have no way of knowing if they are selling to underage buyers or not. It would have been very easy for them to say to heck with it and ban all tobacco sales. Relative to the big picture tobacco sales are not a significant revenue stream for eBay.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Ebay is a joke when it comes to this. If any of you recall my thread a few months back they actually called me to tell me I was breaking their rules. I pointed out other auctions that were still going and they said they would look into them. Nothing happened to those auctions.
Pipestud has a lot of experience selling tins there and has shed some light on the subject a few times.
I have tried to read and educate myself on how ebay handles tin sales, not so much as a seller but more as a buyer. The knowledge gathered from this is as follows:
If you list a tin and some do gooder out there reports your listing, ebay reps will look into it. If your listing isnt reported then you have free reign. Which ebay rep the reported listings go to has a lot to do with how the "infraction" is handled. If you get "Freddie the free loader", he will google your tin name and if he sees it on sale somewhere he will pull the auction. If you get "Charlie the caring", he will actually do some research and see if it is in fact an out of production tin. If you get "lazy Laura" youre screwed. I also think the account that reports you has an effect. If you get reported by a do gooder with a feedback of 10k - you are toast regardless. Most reports come from competitors or people you have left negative feedback for.
These are just my opinions - nothing more. I wish pipestud would start his online tobacco auction site like we asked him too. pipestudbay or something like that. :)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've been aware of the "collectable tin" rule for some time. Same with the disclaimer. I've studied hundreds of completed auctions over the past 16 months and my listings have included all the things they want, to the extent of not even using the word "sealed" to describe a tin, and just showing pics of it. Then they even took down two different listings of a tin that should be "legal" to them because it is discontinued, (HH Highland)
edit @Peteguy Your thoughts are pretty much what I've been thinking too.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
It's like the police, they don't catch all illegal activity. I wouldn't take it personal.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Honestly, the whole business is a sham. At best it's a "wink, wink, say no more". The only way that their bullshit rules can be followed is if only EMPTY tins are offered for sale as collectibles. At best, eBay is a clumsy hypocrite.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
OP, I feel your pain. I used to be fine, then I think I sold a tin of Penzance, and my guess is that some jealous competitor 'reported' my auction, now I have the touch of death. I can not list a tin of any sort in any way without having it pulled. The 'rules' have nothing to do with it. Personally, I have completely given up trying to sell aged sealed tins on Ebay. It just isn't worth pulling my hair out trying to give them my commission money. If they don't want it I will go to 4Noggins or Pipestud.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
This thread just furthers my wish for a pipe tobacco auction site....I think it could be done. I wouldn't worry too much about lawsuits etc. Ebay is FULL of "collectible" Camel cigarette tins.........and they're not even a year old! Really? How many "children" are going to buy the $200 vintage pipe tobacco, when they can get the Camels for $5???.......

Here's a perfect example-------Ebay pulls 40 year old AGED Dunhill tins down but THIS SH*T goes on and on.............. :twisted:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
f you list a tin and some do gooder out there reports your listing, ebay reps will look into it. If your listing isnt reported then you have free reign. Which ebay rep the reported listings go to has a lot to do with how the "infraction" is handled. If you get "Freddie the free loader", he will google your tin name and if he sees it on sale somewhere he will pull the auction. If you get "Charlie the caring", he will actually do some research and see if it is in fact an out of production tin. If you get "lazy Laura" youre screwed. I also think the account that reports you has an effect. If you get reported by a do gooder with a feedback of 10k - you are toast regardless. Most reports come from competitors or people you have left negative feedback for.
These are just my opinions - nothing more. I wish pipestud would start his online tobacco auction site like we asked him too. pipestudbay or something like that. :)
Pete nailed it with his post. We have to remember that there are literally millions and millions of items in all categories at auction on eBay each day. To police all of the auctions in those categories is impossible, and I understand that. I have no idea how many auctions are reported for violations each day but I am sure the number would cross our eyes. I believe that once someone is flagged for specific violations, they remain on eBay's radar screen for awhile before dropping back down into the eBay abyss.
Now, regarding starting my own tobacco auction site, I think I'll take a pass on that suggestion. LOL! However, I have, for many years now, been running my own private website selling vintage tobacco and that site keeps me plenty busy thanks to all you fine folks who enjoy aged and/or no longer produced blends. In fact, it was eBay yanking a bunch of my tobacco auctions about 8-9 years ago that prompted me to start my website. So, I guess I do owe eBay a note of thanks for that.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"I believe that once someone is flagged for specific violations, they remain on eBay's radar screen for awhile before dropping back down into the eBay abyss."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've suspected this was probably happening with us lucky ones who have been ebay spanked more than once.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mcitinner1, the simple answer to your question is they don't like you. I called the CEO of ebay and told him to watch you. If you had conceded to my blackmail attempts and gave me half your profits, you would have been fine. :nana:
Seriously, I think it sucks and you definitely have a beef.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I believe that once someone is flagged for specific violations, they remain on eBay's radar screen for awhile before dropping back down into the eBay abyss.
The whole explanation makes sense, especially this.
That is exactly how law enforcement worked in the mid sized affluent town I grew up in. Many kids with money and a small police force, not necessarily right, just the way most folks in that situation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.