PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I didn't have anything good to say about Half and Half last week when I first tried it, I didn't even finish the bowl I was really disappointed. Second bowl was a bit better. Third bowl I actually kind of enjoyed. Fourth I officially really like this tobacco. Its cheap, basic, may be poor quality tobacco leaves I don't know, probably has more of the preservative crap OTC blends have, but I really like this stuff now. I guess I just had to get used to it, ha, but yeah, I'm totally enjoying this tobacco, which is good, because when the American prices jack up I know I can handle at least this particular OTC which is dirt cheap, so even if the price doubled its still like 7 bucks a pouch.
Not that it matters to anyone, but I had to confess and admit I jumped the gun.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Usually I have to smoke about 3-4 bowls of something to really get a good taste for it. Maybe it is the pipe that gets flavored a bit? Your pallet picking up on new flavors each time? And some tobaccos pack differently which could effect the smoke. Can't beat a cheap tobacco if you enjoy it! :puffy:

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Did your taste change on a Tuesday?

0kjxw0fc2lebtx.jpg

Or would you call yourself bullheaded...

kgrhqfqme88f7ygecbpl3dvweug60_3-464x600.jpg

Sorry, I'll stop now...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Haven't tried Half & Half yet, but I've had that very experience with a couple of other tobaccos. I've started keeping a smoking journal so that I can keep my reactions straight - and see if there's any correlation between which pipe I use, which tobacco, etc.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
My go to blend for many years was Half & Half blended 50/50 with Captain Black Gold. It was a satisfying all day smoke and everyone around me loved the aroma so it was a win win situation for smoking at work. Those days are gone and I've moved on to other tobaccos but still enjoy some of that today.

There's nothing wrong with good ole OTC blends. And like others have stated, it takes an ounce or more (5 or more bowls) to set your pipe and palate to really appreciate the taste of almost any tobacco blend.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I personally enjoy a lot of drugstore blends; It's just sad that every once and a while I'll pick up a pouch somewhere new and I basically open a bag of dust. It may be time to give SWR a chance but my CBW and CBG have yet to let me down.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You need to pick up a (14 oz.?) tub of this venerated codger blend.

If you like the pouch, you're going to love the tub.

IMHO... it's much better in the tub.

:puffy:

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Glad to hear you gave Half and Half another chance and it turned out well.
A tobacconist asked me to smoke the whole ounce of each blend I ordered completely, before trying the next one. He feels this is the best way to sample a new blend. I didn't follow his request to the letter, but I came to appreciate his way of thinking and smoked mostly the new blend, although occasionally smoking others.
When i try a new blend, I smoke several bowlfuls in different pipes, before deciding how much I like or dislike it.
I ordered a blend from another blender and the first puff on lightup was incredible. I haven't had that same experience with it since. It's a excellentr blend, but that first puff on the first bowlful hasn't been duplicated since. I know the potential in the blend and will keep trying to recapture that magical moment.
Some blends take time to appreciate fully; others hit the mark from the first bowlful.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find alot of blends need to dry a bit and then they start to open up with the intended flavours. I think this is usually the case with alot of people who don't initially like a tobacco and then suddenly do, I think just the tobacco has reached the desired moisture content so the flavour of the tobacco and what it's supposed to taste like starts happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.