Easiest way to fix a slightly cracked mortise/shank?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Hello gentlemen of the briar (or cob), I had a quick question. I just received a Savinelli Series III unfinished pipe, and I realized that there was a VERY tiny crack running along the side of the mortise/shank. They did mention that little things like this will show up on these pipes, but I just want to fix it and not worry about it.
I've looked around online and found that people band their pipes when they come across such a problem. However, I lack the tools and the savvy to carry out a project like this (also my mortise/shank is square, so round bands are out of the question). Are there any other ways that I can fix a little crack like this?

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Epoxy is one of the better adhesives. Outstanding adhesion and great for gap filling meaning you don't have to clamp it like wood glue. Lowe's/Home Depot or a local hardware store will have JB Weld (also heat resistant). Mix it 50/50 and rib it into the crack with your finger. Once you've rubbed it in thoroughly wipe the excess off. This is a bit tricky as you don't want to spread the epoxy all over the place. Acitone works great as a thinner for epoxy, but it's an aggressive solvent. It won't take stain off, but it will strip any laquor or finish. Although, vinegar works too. You should be able to get most of the excess epoxy off by just carefully wiping with a paper towel, but you will have a bit of residue. So, I would recommend the vinegar if your pipe has a finish on it.

EDIT:. I just reread your post and saw it's an unfinished pipe. So, acetone will be your best bet for cleanup.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to Home Depot today to buy the epoxy. Will update when done.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Before during and after photos appreciated, hardly mandatory!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Will do. I got the epoxy but haven't had the time to fix it yet. A crazy few weeks due to finals (I'm a young 27, trying to get my PhD in English) and writing an insane amount of articles (Bengals writer for USA Today). I'll get to it over this next week.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo ext
Find a friend who makes, or at least wraps, fishing rods. Using the same process with rod winding thread to attach the line guides, he/she can wrap around the shank over the split. Gluing the crack itself helps but isn't structurally as important as the wraps. If silk thread (rather than nylon) is used, and ensuring that no wax is applied to the thread, varnish will wet into the silk and turn the whole thing translucent, and maybe almost transparent. You will then be able to see the nomenclature and grain through the wraps.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.