PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I see that there are a lot of Early Morning tobacco such as Sutliffe Sunrise Smoke, Brigham Maritime Morning, C&D Good Morning, GLP Chelsea Morning, Mclelland Bulk AMP. How do these compare and are they all trying to match Dunhill EMP?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My impression is that morning blends are usually milder blends intended for "all-day" smoking, or

suitable for all-day anyway. Nighttime blends are often full strength, like Nightcap. I don't think

any of the mentioned blends are imitating or trying to match EMP, since it is widely available and

available in bulk.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
My early morning smoke is the bowl I didn't finish the night before. Works for me. :D

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"Funny though as I want/need a full strength blend first thing in the morning. I don't pay any attention to the recommended time of day and will smoke what I want when I want."
Me too, Booker. 8)
Having Billy Budd for breakfast this morning. 8)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If I'm just getting started, it depends on my mood, but one of my 3 dependable codger blends is often first choice. I may smoke 3 or 4 bowls of these a day. I change it up from bowl to bowl, smoking some nice cav aro, or some lat, or something I've mixed up. As my tins empty out, I'm using their contents less frequently and smoke mostly bulk blends.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I usually smoke either EMP or Mississippi River with my morning coffee. I am a shift worker ( leave home at 5 am and don't come back til almost 9 pm) so when I have to go to work, I can only smoke when I get home. So I know I have a day off when I get a taste of orientAls and Latakia. It gives my coffee a sort of caramel sweetness. Later in the day, I smoke Virginias and Vapers. Never got into Burleys. Perhaps that is something I should explore this year.

I almost never smoke one of the morning blends in the morning. But, it does seem as if these latalkia/oriental mixes that are labelled as morning blends are wanting to tag onto Dunhill's coattails. Don't forget GLP's Chelsea Morning.
Me, I prefer an aromatic/virginia hybrid in the morning. Vanilla Flake, Deep Hollow, Dan's Liberty, Fire dance, something to accompany the tastes and aromas of breakfast, plus the subtle flavor of Virginias in the mix for my pleasure. I used to just smoke whatever Virginia or VaPer I wanted in the mornings, and then my girls complained that their friends at school said they smelled like they were out at an all night poker game. So, being the thoughtful father that I am, decided to compromise.
I've grown to look forward to that first smoke and a cup of coffee, wafting fragrances of vanilla, java, fresh fruits, pancake syrup, sausage, eggs, etc... My girls now say that they love the morning smells as well. And, it passes the peer test at school.
However, I find that I am not all that excited to smoke an aromatic at any other time of day. Unless we are talking about a coconut rope as my last smoke of the day.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This thread brought to mind the following quotation from a story titled "The Quest for Theodore Gordon" by the late Sparse Gray Hackle from his book titled "Fishless Days, Angling Nights":
"Then it was morning, "the great start," the spiritual setting forth, with fires rekindled and the pungency of coffee summoning the sleepers to add to it the fragrance of that best smoke of the whole day, the pipe before breakfast."
This is what I think of when I have that early-morning smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.