PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I haven't had much luck with non- aromatic tobacco, but there's one I always enjoyed, EMP. Whzt kind of tobacco is it (I once heard English),and what blends are similar to it?

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
This question is frequently asked, and the correct answer is always "Chelsea Morning is a mild english like EMP only better" :D

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I can't say it's a ringer for EMP, because my palette isn't sophisticated enough, but I love Hearth and Home's Ashcroft Estate.
It's a mild English with a hint of sweetness. At least worth a tin to try.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You could try Sutliff's match. Here's my review of it:
The sweet Cyprian latakia is present, but not strong and its smoke and wood aspects are complemented very nicely by the sweetness of the Virginias. The lemon Va. offers citrus and grass, while the pressed Va. is tangy dark fruit sweet. The dry, woody, buttery sweet Turkish is a condiment. There is an extremely light topping of some kind that mellows the blend, which is aided by a little sugary black cavendish in the background. Burns cool and clean a moderate pace with a very rich, consistent flavor. The strength and taste levels are a hair shy of medium. Won't bite or get harsh. The nic-hit is mild. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a pleasant after taste, and is an all day smoke. The Match lacks the red Virginia that the original has, and is just slightly sweeter and less grassy. The substitution of lemon for red Va. means the sweet notes are not the same, but it’s still a pleasing mixture. I gave the original two and a half stars.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture is the answer. Same blending components, very similar taste. Personally I think they are pretty equal, but I give a slight edge to Skiff Mixture. Can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gents, I wanted to you to know I ordered all the brands you mentioned. I was a little confused about Match, because there are several different Matches, so I ordered a small pocket of one. Much thanks; I'm looking forward to these. BTW, what constitutes an English blend?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
'hawk- An English blend is largely Virginia and/or Turkish tobaccos with a condiment, Latakia, and sometimes Perique is added. Theoretically, no toppings are used.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrow', the array may be even better than any one of them. You might make new friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.