PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
For the last couple of month I have been smoking only Captian black (different blands). Yesterday I found a B&M (finally) where I could buy some other kind of tobacco and I bought me a tin of early morning pipe.

I smoked it twice (yesterday and today) and it feels stronger then Captian black. It starts about half way down the bowl. The first half is smoking fine the second is making me feel almost sick.

Does one need to get used to this kind of tobacco more then to other kinds? Is this kind of tobacco considered stronger than others? I have read reviews about this tobacco but I can't find answer, maybe because I lack experience with different kinds of tobacco.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Congratulations for expanding your horizons. I suggest a couple things you might try.
Let your tobacco breathe and dry a bit more than you're used to with CB. Not crispy but getting there. It will smoke better. Lots of Virginia is that blend so use pipe cleaners liberally. I don't know what size pipes you smoke but you might want to smoke this in a slightly smaller one. Lastly, if you're smoking the EMP through pipes that have been smoking CB, it will take some time to truly get the flavor profile of the EMP. Sharing a pipe between the two blends? CB will win out every time in the flavor.
Mike S.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I would wonder if you have a very low tolerance for nicotine. If you start feeling sick, definitely put the pipe down. 10 minutes later you may well be able to resume. Nicotine overload worsens very quickly, often requiring a visit to the bathroom. You might consider trying to gradually increase your tolerance, but for right now you just need to get through a bowl. More experienced smokers are said to like the really strong tobaccos, but I'm sure at least some of them couldn't abide them when they first tried smoking them.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
EMP has a good amount of nicotine in it, it's not a slap you in the face after one puff kind of strength but after half a bowl yeah, I feel it and I'm not a nicotine lightweight. Are you feeling dizzy kind of and almost nauseus? It sounds like you're getting a strong nic hit. Slow down is all I can say. I find EMP comes perfect as it is for smoking, I've never had to dry Dunhill tobacco out, I love how it comes. It does smoke quick too so you're most likely experiencing a nicotine buzz. Like 4noggins mike said, put the pipe down, and smoke slower next time. Letting a pipe go out isn't a bad thing.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
try a smaller bowled pipe, and slowing down on puffs. if you can't find a good B&M go online their is none that sell pipe tobacco close to me so I order my tobacco from online. my favorites are 4noggin and smokingpipes. keep trying new blends finding the ones you like the most.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
CB is quite mild, so you may have been puffing it pretty hard. With a fuller strength tobacco, you do need to

slow down. You can also go with a smaller pipe, or partially packed bowls, until you get a range on the tobacco.

To my surprise, I find some of the stronger tobaccos less harsh, with less bite, and only a trace of nic effect, but

be aware of your own nicotine sensitivity. If you don't do well with nicotine, go with mild blends.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Also try having something to drink when smoking. Water, tea, soda whatever you like with the smoke. With tobaccos like EMP I like iced tea or root beer. Also make sure you have a little something on your stomach, nic hitting an empty belly is a recipe for the bends.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Many thanks to all off you. I was afraid that my journy with pipes will end before it even starterd. But you have put my mind at rest. I used to smoke cigaretes for 22 years, but have stoped for 17 and now started again with pipe, so I am not new to nicotin bazz. But that expiriasce was totaly something new. Anyway with your advice i will continue to modify my smooking. Thanks all

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe is their best seller for a good reason, its that darn good.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm going to suggest another idea. Captain Black (my go to favorite close to 40 years ago) is an aro; a drug store aro.
Lots of polyglycol goop in it making it last on the shelf till nearly the end of time.
Adjusting to a chemical free (aside from casings, which are not additives in the this sense) tobacco will take an adjustment.
EMP is one of my favorites, and I frankly find it on the light side, especially compared it to Dunhill Nightcap!
Slow down and give it a chance.
In addition, I'm going to disagree with the other fellows who suggest a smaller bowl. Slow down yes, but a smaller bowl is best reserved for Va's Va/Pers; a nice blend of the English (latakia/oriental) seems to flower best in a slightly larger bowl, again, just in my opinion.
Good luck and don't give up!

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
English blend could be a little strong when you first try it. But it's got great flavours in it as well. So start slow and you'll be fine. Also don't smoke different blend types in the same pipe. For example CB is aromatic and EMP is English. It will cause ghosting which is not pleasant. You can check the type of a particular blend at tobaccoreview. Happy somking.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
EMP is one of my favorites, and I frankly find it on the light side, especially compared it to Dunhill Nightcap!
EMP is a great choice as it smoke very smooth and very cool. The flavors are subtle, but as you learn to sip through a fat bowl, it's one delicious treat!
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of Dunhill!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Is there any comparison between EMP and Balkan Sasieni? I've got Nightcap and Sasieni...but no EMP.

Still waiting to pop some White Knight.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I've got Nightcap and Sasieni...but no EMP.
If you like Night Cap you might find EMP too light on the Lady N and a little light on flavor too.
However, it is delicious in its own right, particularly if your in the mood for a light and tasty treat.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
EMP, Skiff, and LEO are all very fine morning smokes for me. Paired with a cup of coffee, I'm quite content.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
captin black was my tride and true when I first started, but i only smoked it in a corncob and with mt only brair I smoked ten to midnight and EMP because its all I had hahaha. I remember I took a walk and smoked a whole bowl of EMP and when i got home and sat down I was wondering if I had a drink on the walk back hahaha! you stop smoking for a bit and your tollerance can drop~

Status
Not open for further replies.