PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
This is only my second English so I'm still in process of discovering the different nuances of the category. I received this at the same time as Nightcap and had a hard time distinguishing the tin note, as they both smelled similar. However I can now tell a difference in some ways, in that EMP is slightly less intense and there is an sweetness and earthy note in there as well that doesn't immediately jump out to me with Nightcap. The latakia is present but not as forward as Nightcap. I find it to be well balanced, maybe too well balanced. I couldn't really pick out much of the other players. Maybe this is my inexperience, and its certainly not a bad thing. All in all this is a very enjoyable blend. I can see why it is called early morning and could see how it would go nicely with some coffee. I found that I could somewhat misbehave with this blend, as it allows me to abuse it with a faster pace than I've been able to get away with while smoking other blends.Burned to a nice ash right down to the bottom, and stayed lit with no issues. I can see this sitting in the rotation for some time.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
In my experience EMP smokes cool and smooth, but but I found it a little light on flavor, at least at first. I think it would make a great beginner smoke as it's a very forgiving, no nonsense blend you just load and light. As I've worked my way through the first tin I find I'm getting more of the flavor to come through.
If all goes as planned, it will be my first smoke of the day just before work tomorrow.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm a big fan of EMP. A good weekend morning start includes EMP, a big mug of good coffee and 45 minutes to an hour of quiet contemplation. I usually smoke it in a fairly big pipe and try to sip fairly slowly although it rarely bites if I lose my concentration and start puffing like mad. I recently bought some in bulk as it seems that the tins seem to disappear too quick!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
EMP is a good smoke, but as others said, light in flavor and not something that is going to blow you away.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I kind of like it as a change of pace. Since I'm not a lat bomb fan and smoke mostly Va/VaPer and burley blends, EMP works nicely for me.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I'm a big fan of EMP. A good weekend morning start includes EMP, a big mug of good coffee and 45 minutes to an hour of quiet contemplation.
This is true for me also. I love smoking this on the front porch on the weekend mornings, the sun coming up and warming everything up, chatting with all the dog-walkers as they go by.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I'm a big fan of EMP. A good weekend morning start includes EMP, a big mug of good coffee and 45 minutes to an hour of quiet contemplation.
This is true for me also. I love smoking this on the front porch on the weekend mornings, the sun coming up and warming everything up, chatting with all the dog-walkers as they go by.
And for me! Don't have a porch and the contemplation is intermingled with the reading of The Economist or a couple of forums, but the EMP and good coffee are just such a great, slow-start morning experience.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
I'm on the occasion bowl of EMP I like it. There is quite a lot of very subtle flavours but I can only pick them up If I haven't smoked anything else, Good with tea for me not so much with coffee.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Zekest, you find Early Morning Pipe to be soapy? I'm curious as to how that happened. I know perception is unique to the smoker but this is the first time I've heard or seen that one.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Zekest, you find Early Morning Pipe to be soapy? I'm curious as to how that happened. I know perception is unique to the smoker but this is the first time I've heard or seen that one.
It never would have occurred to me that there was a soapy taste in there somewhere.
There is quite a lot of very subtle flavours but I can only pick them up If I haven't smoked anything else,
+1
I think that's why they call it early morning!

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
EMP is probably one of my favorite blends. Shame that it's not cheaper ;)
It's more of an Oriental forward English IMO. If you enjoy this and would like a little bit more umph, C&D Rajah's Court might be in your future :)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Just picked up a tin of London Mixture. As my tin of EMP is down to a bowl or two, I'll have to open up something with some Lat and they say the London Mixture falls right between EMP and Night Cap, which is tempting, however, I´m pretty sure I'll crack my tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou first.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
This is only my second English so I'm still in process of discovering the different nuances of the category.
Looking forward to doing this with the Dunhill blends at some point - so far, I've done the comparisons between H&H English blends (including Daybreak, which is described as "inspired by" EMP), and with two of the Froggies. It's fascinating to see how different proportions of varietal tobaccos alter the flavor.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I really like EMP. It's not the strongest english, but since I only smoke once per day I haven't burnt out my taste buds and can get some good taste.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I had my third bowl ever, with EMP and a cup of milky tea. I found it very nice, but as said not much flavour.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Rajah's Court was an early favorite. $25.00 for 8 oz at smokingpipes. At the time I smoked it I had no idea what a Balkan tastes like, but I was always very impressed at the type and amount of its flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.