PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never been able to find an early year Ashton, and I've lost out on the few that come up on Ebay. This one, a Sovereign XX from 1985 was sold by SmokingPipes a few months ago, I was too late. That buyer needed money so he sold it on Ebay just recently. This one hit all of my key points, single digit year, XX size and Sovereign grade. It doesn't look like he smoked it from SmokingPipes, but I cleaned it anyway.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@Doc - not really, this one just fell into my lap.

I had purchased an Peterson Amber Spigot, that was the prize, but it was flawed, so it was returned.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, this time change has me all screwed up, wide awake at 4 AM. I smoked the pipe and caught up on three days of newspapers (and the NASPC The Pipe Collector). A one match affair with a bowl of MM965, she's a winner.
I forgot to add that this one came with the typical Ashton leather bag, but this the first Ashton bag I've seen that is also stamped RD Field. It has a velcro closure, versus the typical leather tie, which actually makes it look that it might be useful

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I avoid shopping higher end, but I do flirt with Ashtons when the opportunity presents itself. That is one beautiful pipe.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Al
Great backstory! Good on you. FWIW, R. D. Field was a member here at Morley's before he moved to the Southwest. He brought a number of excellent brands into the country, including Radice. He is an important Dunhill expert. At his garage sale, I got an estate Harris tweed that he wore very little when he was in England.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.