PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Before anyone says anything, yep, I will put up pics this evening!
But I couldn't wait to jump on here and report my initial impressions of this pipe made by another member on this site. Some of you may have seen my earlier inquiries regarding the Dirty Bear pipes, and although several posted thoughts and feedback, nobody reported first-hand knowledge, so I took the chance, just for you fine folks! And I have to report it was well worth it.
I ordered my Dirty Bear cherry-wood pipe over the weekend from Kurt, and it got here yesterday. If you buy one of Kurt's pipes, be forewarned: this thing is definitely Man Sized! Easily the biggest pipe I currently own, and on par with some of the larger Nordings. The crazy thing is how light it is for being that big. I know cherry is less dense than briar, but this pipe is surprisingly light for the size and thickness of the walls. Don't think I could clench it long term, but I let it hang for a few minutes during my initial trial smoke, without any problems.
I had expressed a few reservations to Kurt prior to purchasing, because I have seen mixed impressions regarding pipes made from cherry. He completely understood, and explained that he had smoked these pipes with no problems yet, and I had seen the youtube video review that sounded positive, so I moved forward. I have a few pear wood pipes from Mr. Brog, so I know a decent pipe can be made from woods other than briar.
I only have a couple of bowls through it, but I have to say I am thoroughly impressed! The fit and finish is clean and simple. He doesn't use stains or anything, just appears to be a good coat of carnauba wax sealing it nicely. The cherry grain is phenomenal and the bark on the rim gives it a nice rustic touch. And the branding of the bear claw scratches on the front just adds to the unique feel of this pipe.

As I said, the fit is very nice, with the stem seating snugly into the shank. Even though it is a big pipe, the light weight combined with the shape makes it fit easily into the hand and remains comfortable throughout the smoke.
With only a couple of bowls (half-bowls, since this is a new bare wood pipe, and I want to give it time to build the cake), I can tell that the draw is nice and open, with an easy to pack bowl. The tiers is a cool idea, since I am still a new pipe smoker, it is nice to have a visual reference to gauge your packing pressure. I smoked some Bombay Extra in it, and benefited from the dryness, allowing for minimal relights and an easy finish down to ash, with very little dottle.
Overall, probably one of my favorite pipes from an aesthetic perspective (I like to be different), and as good a smoker as any I have tried prior. I'll post a follow-up in a month or so once I have it fully broken in, but I highly recommend the Dirty Bear!

-PM

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the review. I am glad to hear it. Though I don't intend to leave briar any time soon, it's good to know that there are other choices out there.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Here's some pics:

DSC01037.JPG

DSC01038.JPG

DSC01039.JPG

Next to my Mr. Brog Amigo 51 for size comparison:

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01043.JPG

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
@Gray- I've only smoked a couple of half bowls, which lasted about 30 minutes. A full bowl would be a good hour smoke for me.

-PM

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Update - Almost three months of using this pipe, and the Dirty Bear pipe is still going strong. This one is in my weekly rotation, and as the cake is building, it just keeps smoking better and better.

I tend to smoke fast, so it can still get a bit warm sometimes, since the cake isn't that thick yet, but once I think about it and slow down a bit all is well.

I get more comments on this pipe than any other when I am out and about, that is for sure.

Definitely a good smoking pipe from a great member on this site!

-PM

Status
Not open for further replies.