PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Alright guys. I have had plenty of time as of late since losing my job a week or so ago. Its been a few months since I posted my first pipe out of my shop here. Officially, this is really pipe 10 or so. Lots of failures / learning in between the two. Let me know what you guys think. How did I progress?
That is a hand cut cumberland stem. I don't show it in the pics but the tenon and stem are one piece.
10252044_274037052777457_7688124689172033875_n.jpg

10249708_274037056110790_4171961331670583440_n.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
O and by far the hardest part of the whole thing for me is cutting the button. I spent as much time with that as I think I did the rest of the pipe and I am still not happy with the results but I think I was past the point of salvaging it with my current skill set.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Does the stem need more micro mesh near the button or is it just the pic?
No. It needs much more then micro mesh. I was concerned about getting too thin there and called it quits. It wasn't until I took the pics that I could see all the scratches still there. Between all the dust in the shop and me being a little cross eyed during the finishing, I didn't see it. I will smooth it out later.
And thanks for the compliments and honest feedback.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looking good Glen ! Stems, and especially the button area is the hardest part for me also. I keep my calipers handy and keep measuring as I work it down. Looks like the stem could be a little flatter in the area in front of the button-not quite as much "hump".

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks Ed. I didn't even think to use my calipers. That would have eased some of my tension. Half of my failures have been learning my tools more then learning how to make a pipe.
Looks like the stem could be a little flatter in the area in front of the button-not quite as much "hump".
The more I look at it, I think you are right. I think this occurred when I put a slight downward curve to it. It caused the bulge. I will definitely have to rework this guy. I think in general I got excited about having a somewhat success and rushed the end. I have had to slow myself down and I did for the stummel, just not enough for them stem.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
That sucks about your job man, sorry to hear it. My wife got laid off last month after 17 years with the same company.

In other news, calipers, calipers, calipers!

.15" in the center of the stem, just behind the button.

The only way to get better is just keep making them. Also an insane, stupid, misguided, unhealthy amount of devotion and dedication will help a lot. :D

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
That's a good looking pipe - I'd be happy with it! I concur that it needs a bit of help with the scratches, but I'm sure that is a minor fix compared to the amount of time and effort invested overall.
Job well done, I say. Keep it up!
I prefer this one to your first pipe (that you linked to.)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice work. Like Lonestar says just keep at it. Your methods and skills will evolve and refine as you go.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks all and thanks lonestar for the tidbit. I have to start writing all this down in one place.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Really sorry to hear about your job. Wishing you lots of luck in securing a new one. But good on you for keeping busy tho - that's a great looking pipe, nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.