PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Those Dunhills I won on e-bay last week arrived today! I feel like I may have won the lottery or something. Provided the bowls are ok on them, they should clean up really nice. Here are a couple before & after pics of the Bruyere (which BTW is a 1967). Amazingly...this is after less than 30 minutes effort!
Before1.jpg

After1.jpg

Before2.jpg

After2.jpg

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Nice, I don't think I'll ever be able to own a dunhill. I think about 'em though as I sit here smoking my cob.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Big improvement.
If the seller had put the attention into to it that you did, he probably could've got double the price.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
The crud on the rim was literally just caked on crud. The majority of it I scraped off with my fingernail! Mr. Clean Magic Eraser removed most of the rest, and the few stubborn bits I very carefully scraped off with my pocket knife.
The magic eraser also cleaned up the majority of the crud on the stem. There is still a lot of oxidation and some decent bite marks that are going to require a fair amount of effort with the micro-mesh pads.
A quick buffing with some tripoli and carnauba wax just for purposes of taking some quick pictures!
Unfortunately there is a couple of decent scratches on the bottom of the bowl, but for the price, I definitely will not complain. I also spent a little time this evening reaming the cake down and smoothing it out a bit with some 600 grit sandpaper. Bowls in both of them look good!

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Do any of the other e-bayers get annoyed with the whole feedback thing? I have only had one seller that left positive feedback for me (as the buyer) before I have left their feedback.
As far as I'm concerned (as the buyer), as soon as my payment is received I should receive feedback. If I post payment minutes after winning the auction, then I should get a "wow...fast payer" or whatever. This is rarely the case, though, as most sellers do not give feedback until they have received positive feedback (I've even had some tell me exactly that)! What a crock!
...feeling somewhat grumpier than normal... must be time for a smoke!
On a lighter note, the stems are taking a bit more work than I had hoped, but they are coming along. Heavy oxidation is such a pain to remove. I'll post final pics when I finally get to that point.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have removed oxidation from my stems pretty well with DeniCare stem cleaner and polisher. Here is the link for it. It is pretty cheap and works very well.
http://www.4noggins.com/denicaremouthpiecestempolish16g.aspx

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Next order I make, I will have to get some of the DeniCare to try out. Heavy oxidation has got to be about the most stubborn stuff to clean up. The magic eraser really does a pretty good job of removing oxidation. Soaking the stem in 50% bleach/water mixture is sometimes necessary as well. Just be sure to put some petroleum jelly on any painted logo on the stem, or the bleach will remove it.
Some additional tips already discussed can be found in this thread.
Thanks for the kind word guys. I finished (mostly) cleaning up both pipes today. I will try to get some pictures up soon.
Phil...I'd be happy to help out...just three easy payments of $29.95!

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
For those of you interested: Final before and after pics can be viewed at...
http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/bytor2009/Dunhill%20Restoration/
I'm not going to try any fancy links anymore...they just cause trouble. Large(ish) photos, so I didn't want to post them in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.