PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
Finally received the pipe I bought on E-bay, unfortunately I can't upload any pictures right now, so I'm instead using the ones from E-bay. They however do not show the "briar" stamp very well, nor what may be tool markings or some "o o" stamping to the right of "briar".
Does anyone have any info regarding pipes like this one ? Is it briar, or is it ... plastic ? It's not symmetrical, if you look at the front of it, it looks like the horse is raising one eye brow lol, and couple other details don't match the right side perfectly to the left. Plus as you can see, one of the ears on the horse head is broken off.
s-l500.jpg

s-l5003.jpg

s-l5001.jpg

s-l5002.jpg

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
So after rubbing it with alcohol, turns out the stamp says "briarwood", one word ... but ... is it really briar ?

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
hahahaha I know huh ? Something tells me it's not real briar, but who knows ... I guess I just wanted to know before I strip off the varnish and restain it all black

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hopefully you didn't pay a fortune for that. An acquaintance of mine, antique dealer was selling a french dog shaped bowl pipe, and he asked a pretty penny for it just because he thought the dog head was somewhat unique ...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I saw a carved figure head Adolf Hitler briar pipe on Ebay once. I can't remember if it sold but then I could not really see many people walking into their local B&M saying 'Dude check out my Hitler pipe' unless they are up for some strange category of the Darwin Awards!!

Years ago on here, I remember someone posting something similar to this. Someone responded saying that the pipe was a souvenir pipe from... somewhere, maybe Spain. I don't know for sure that this is what this is, but when I see pipes carved into these figurals out of wood/briar, I avoid them.

But, if you like the pipe and it smokes well for you, that is great, souvenir or not. Right? :puffy:

vorgath

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
No, I paid 10 bucks for it lol, figured it would look somewhat different, more like a souvenir.
Main reason I was asking whether it was even remotely possible it was made out briar (even though it's stamped "briarwood" I'm pretty sure it's made of something like Brylon or similar to it) is I haven't yet posted the feedback on Ebay.
Oh yes, those Adolf Hitler pipes, yeah I saw them when I was trying to verify if the JFK ones were real, if they were Marxman pipes, then I came across several multi colored ones like ... Hitler, Stalin, Mao Tse Tong etc .. you name it
HOWEVER ... on a different subject .. my other pipe that I bought on E-bay arrived today, it's a Jeantet, definitely briar, I used some of the green scouring pad on it, and it looks a lot better than the factory overdone stain
I'll probably post pics of it eventually once I'm done refinishing the Jeantet one, and will also post another one of the horse head one, once I stain it black

Status
Not open for further replies.