PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
As I lamented in another post, I'm trying to give up cigarettes - at least the "big tobacco" varieties. What I'd like to do, since I have a passion for fine tobaccos, is maybe come up with my own mixture so I can roll a few and take them along for the day for those times I still want a quality smoke, but can't wrestle with pipe apparatus. I'm thinking of purchasing some blending tobaccos - probably a few different virginias, a burley for body and perhaps a spice or two to come up with a high-quality blend I can enjoy. I have dabbled in rolling pipe tobacco with mixed results. I like latakia-heavy blends in my pipe, but not in a cigarette so much, and one of my best experiences was with the perique-laden blend "Pirate's Alley" from the Country Squire.
If I've got to smoke - and it seems I've got to - it would make me feel better about it if I finished a cigarette and thought "that was a fine smoke."
I was wondering if anyone who sees this has experience in this area. If you have come up with a rolling blend that suites you, a cutting method, do you stove/dry, age, etc?

May 4, 2015
Could be - I didn't see anything about it, but apologize if it's out of line. I put in purposefully in the pipe tobacco section as it pertains to pipe to pipe tobacco blending. I didn't think rolling it as opposed to putting it in a pipe would be frowned upon, but if those are the rules, admin - please delete.

May 31, 2012
I used to smoke alotta rollups,

mostly halfzware shag like Bali and Drum,

those are good ifya haven't had 'em.
Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky is a fine RYO.

Likewise with Dark Birdseye, but it's a bit stronger and slightly harsh.
Otherwise,

use www.tobaccoreviews.com search feature to seek out shag cut blends.
I don't recco 5 Bros. unless you wanna really really stout ciggie,

it's fairly good, but will knock yer dick intha dirt!

:puffy:

May 4, 2015
I used to smoke alotta rollups,

mostly halfzware shag like Bali and Drum,

those are good ifya haven't had 'em.
Have you ever dabbled in blending tobaccos to come up with something yourself? There are bulk blending tobaccos available these days from P&C, etc. so that's what I was considering looking in to.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Off-topic, E-cig, Hookah Posts
7. Discussion of electronic cigarettes, or any other electronic nicotine delivery device is forbidden. These items have NOTHING to do whatsoever with the true pipe smoking experience. If you want to talk about these items, you are in the wrong place. That goes for Hookah too. Hookahs are the wine coolers of the tobacco world, and they also have nothing to do with the true tobacco pipe smoking experience. Again, if you want to discuss them, please find another website to do so.
No there's nothing to imply discussing DIY rolling blends, we also talk about cigars, snuff, chewing tobacco. Some of the RYO forums have blends members have created which you might want to check out.

May 31, 2012
Have you ever dabbled in blending tobaccos to come up with something yourself? There are bulk blending tobaccos available these days from P&C, etc. so that's what I was considering looking in to.
Complex blends are best enjoyed inna pipe imho.
A rolled ciggie can rarely carry the nuance.
I only smoke rollups while at work under time contraints,

there are many RYO forums to lurk on and get an idea though,

that's what I did,

didn't register or anything...
They used to sell Gitane and Gauloises French style handrolling baccy which is very good.
D&R Two Timer is very good if you prefer the tube injector ciggies.
I used to order Lucky Strike filters from the Ukraine.
If you live near a Vietnamese grocer, they usually carry some of the better brands at regular domestic prices,

stuff like 555 and Craven A etc
I like cigarettes and ain't ashamed to admit it!

:P
Jean-Paul Sartre's favorite was a brand called Sweet Afton by Carroll's of Dundalk Ireland.
Gratuitous Serge Gainsbourg video,

he's a famous smoker!
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY9PY4r83p8
833_003.jpg

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Most of the D&R (Daughters and Ryan) Pipe tobacco began as roll your own...if I were to begin rolling my own, I wouldbuy a tin or two of D&R pipe tobacco

May 4, 2015
Complex blends are best enjoyed inna pipe imho.
For sure... I wasn't thinking anything too heady, but a simple va/bur plus the possibility of a little perique intrigues me. I'll poke around some RYO forums and see what I come up with. Stokkebey's bulks are the cheapest/oz right now retail from what I've seen, so maybe I'll just order a bunch of raw stuff and see what I come up with. I've been looking at some whole leaf options too, but I don't now how far down this rabbit hole I want to go. Story of my life. :)

May 31, 2012
When inna pinch out on the road I've bought American Spirit Black,

they're pretty damn good I must say.
Some of the Robt. McConnell blends are good options because they have the individual leaf,

stuff like Caribe, Perique, Latakia etc
I really enjoy the Caribe as a standalone pipe baccy, but also often add it to weaker blends to give a better kick.

May 4, 2015
if I were to begin rolling my own, I wouldbuy a tin or two of D&R pipe tobacco
Yeah, it looks like their Three Sails is a good starting place for me. At a buck and a half an ounce or so, it will probably end up being cheaper than trying to blend Virginias on my own. Maybe pick up a condiment bulk to add and see where it takes me.

May 31, 2012
Whatever you end up doing,

it'll be a fun adventure no doubt.
Please report to us on the failures and successes as that is always of interest!

:!:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah Perique may be expensive but you only use a bit, it's like cigar leaf too is expensive. Most of the people I've seen that put together a good ryo blend use PS Va long cut then add some burley and a few other Va's. I ordered a pound of Va that was under blending tobacco for my gf to ryo but I never noticed it was labeled as strong and it was just way to much for smoking straight. I'd say stick to mild/medium strength with mild being the most percentage for your Va. I'd also think about adding some turkish into the mix.

May 4, 2015
Turkish is an avenue I thought about. I think for the first go, I'm going to order the 14oz bag of D&R Three Sails, which is already a virginia blend that is well received so that takes a little work out of it for me and will be cost effective. I can add 2 oz. blending Perique which is 12.5% mix in the pound. I know that's high as a condiment, but I don't think it'll be too much for me. I can decide after a while if I want to throw some burley in the mix or maybe some turkish.
I should theoretically end up with a natural Va/Per cigarette for roughly 9 cents a smoke vs. 38 cents per American Spirit black - and who knows - it might be smokeable in a pipe as well.

May 4, 2015
Well, the man has finally done it. Cigarettes went up ANOTHER dollar per pack today - I didn't know exactly when I was going to be priced out of packaged cigarettes, but today is that day. You win, Governor Sandoval.
$7.08 for Marlboro's this morning in Nevada. Cigarette injector and tubes ordered from Amazon. Now to make a filler tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.