PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This is not a pipe question, but with all the knowledgeable people here, perhaps you can enlighten me. I tried to order a DVD of the new release "Pacific Rim" but all I see on Amazon are various combo packs of Blu Ray, Ultraviolet, and other formats. I don't have any of these machines, nor do I aspire to get one. I just want to get DVDs. Is this some sort of attempt to kill the DVD market by forcing us to buy Blu Ray machines if we want a current DVD or what? What is going on in the video world?

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
like so many other things, it is evolving ... Blu Ray is clearly one of the coming things inasmuch as the resolution (clarity/sharpness) of the image is superior to DVD ...
A decent BluRay player can be had for about $100 and many of the game machines on the market have BluRay built in so it's not as bad as you think ...
If you don't have a High Def TV, the difference in resolution will not be apparent to you, but if you do, believe me, Blu Ray is the way to go ... and it's not exactly a total change, either ... the BluRay player will handle your existing DVDs just fine ....

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I haven't purchased a DVD, or a CD for that matter, in years. Infact, if my computer didn't have a disk drive, I would be able to watch a DVD or listen to a CD. In all honesty, I see the movie industry moving away from DVD'S of all types soon and going digital. As for music, I am actually seeing an increase in Vinyl sales.
In other words, I think you might be right as far as the industry is trying to phase out the DVD's. I personally get everything in digital format.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
The step from DVD to Blu-Ray is by no means a game changer like from VHS to DVD...But if you do have the higher rez TV to handle Blu-Ray, then you WILL appreciate the difference!
That being said, I found the DVD version of Pacific Rim with a quick search on Amazon for 'pacific rim dvd' no problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Two-Disc-Special-Edition-UltraViolet/dp/B008JFUQZ2/

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
My feelings is yes, they are selling the combo packs to help encourage the average DVD user to upgrade to Bluray.
I do get the combo packs on movies I "really" like. DVD's are used often in our house. I use the Ultra-Violet versions on the Mac when I travel. Sooner or later I may buy another Bluray...the first one I bought broke inside a year.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Got a blu ray player from costco the other day for $50. It still plays regular dvds so you aren't having to recreate your collection.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Short answer is if its a combo pack should have blu ray and dvd inside it.

They have been pushing blu ray for acouple years now thinking it was going to crush the dvd market, this did not happen. Dvd's are still seeling better. I think it is a way to make a person switch over to blu ray. There are pros and cons to both. Personally I dont watch all that extra stuff they put on the blu ray. But they are really clear which if you are an actress with a blemish, there is not hiding it in blu ray!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's my understanding that the Blu-Ray technology was very costly to develop.

However; the jump in quality (to the public) doesn't justify the cost... which is higher than the standard DVD formats.

And, therefore sales have been disappointing...

So, as a marketing strategy, the producers of those DVDs and Blu-Ray disks are limiting the number of DVD releases and pushing Blu-Ray in an attempt to increase market share.
Of course that info is 3rd person.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.