PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

altalexandru

Lurker
Jan 30, 2015
Hi

I am new to pipe smoking and I have difficulties finding an online store in Canada.

Can you recommend one please?
There are many online stores in the US but I am not sure where can I get info regarding the duty /customs fees for smoking pipes. And accessories. Or tabacco.
Could you please help me to get on the right track?
Kind regards,
Alex A.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
You won't find an online store in Canada typically. My understanding is that because taxation of tobacco is handled at the provincial level it is unlawful to sell tobacco products across provincial borders (this is just my understanding, I'm no lawyer). Having an online shop that can only sell within the province probably isn't feasible.
I've ordered from 4noggins with success, and smokingpipes. I got dinged on a cupojoes order but that was probably because I broke a golden rule: if you're ordering tobacco from the states just order tobacco. You don't want to inflate the declared value by purchasing 200grams of tobacco and a pipe, and some accessories etc. It has a better chance of getting flagged at customs if the declared value is $250 vs $60. Usually I like to order more to make me feel better about the shipping costs but in this case shipping is much cheaper than getting hit with duty.
Some retailers will disguise the contents (I'm not going to say who or what they mark it as for obvious reasons). Apparently if customs discovers this you can get hit with an additional nominal penalty.
Regardless of all of this - it is still much cheaper to order from the states. If 1 out of 5 (that's my current count) gets caught you still save a ton of money. But budget for the worst. Assume you're going to get hit with duties so if you do it's not a crushing blow.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
If you are in Ontario, Walper Tobacco in Kitchener has an online shop but will ship only to Ontario addresses. I've had nothing but good experiences ordering from 4noggins and smokingpipes in the U.S., just keep your order sizes reasonable as others have mentioned and you shouldn't have problems.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I have rec'd orders from Smoking Pipes and 4Noggins. Everything has been labelled yet I've never been spotted by customs. My orders are usually under 300grams. But unfortunately with our declining dollar - getting tobacco from the US just got 10-15% more expensive in the last month. But in the end, if you don't get dinged by customs - it is still wayyyy cheaper to order from US.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Just saying but discussing not getting charged duty might be better suited for a PM then open forum as the more its put out there the more likely its gonna be found out.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I don't think our gov't has Revenue Canada agents trolling the internet. Besides, I'm doing nothing wrong, As I said all my packages have been clearly labelled. I'm always prepared to pay the taxes and duty.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that maybe something don't need to be said on the open forum.
wink-nudge_zpsa8bc5016.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Besides, I'm doing nothing wrong, As I said all my packages have been clearly labelled. I'm always prepared to pay the taxes and duty.
Technically you're supposed to contact the government and pay the duty, regardless if customs stops it or not. Quite a few cigar companies won't ship to Canada until you've showed them that you've contacted customs and pre-paid the taxes on the shipment before they'll send you the order.

altalexandru

Lurker
Jan 30, 2015
So going back to my original question, if I order just pipes, does anyone know how much the duty fees are?
Kind regards,
A.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I was on a cycling tour of Montana in which we briefly crossed the border into Canada. We were on bicycles and facilities were rare. I did what nature required of me, no more and no less. I'm not ashamed, not one bit! I did what any one of you would've done!! At customs, I made a duty.
Ps. I'm certain tobacco is taxed, but pipes are as well?!?!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
if I order just pipes, does anyone know how much the duty fees are?

I bought a Tsuge blowfish from smoking pipes a while back and I remember the duty was surprising. Around $40-50.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I believe the duty for non-tobacco items is HST (or GST + provincial sales tax) on anything above $20 as well as $9.95 fee they charge for inspecting the parcel.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
OMG!!??? 40-50$ ON A PIPE?!?! That's the most retarded thing I've heard all week!! Seriously?!?! What is their legal definition of a "pipe"?

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
If you are just ordering a pipe then it's sort of like Amazon or any other online store. If they do get processed I believe it would be the HST you'd have to pay. But I doubt you'd get charged for it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah...... Pipe was $108US and after exchange, shipping, duty, and border charges it came to almost $200CAN.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Wow - that's interesting because my wife bought me about $350US of stuff from SP for xmas - came in a nice big box and absolutely no duty or charges paid on it at all. I guess it all depends who's running the custom's clearance area at the Canada post sorting center.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
It just sucks because everything has gone up for us Canadians by about 25% in 6 months because of declining dollar. Even in just the last month. I got an order at beginning at the month for when the dollar was 85 cents - yesterday - placed another order - and the dollar was at 79 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.