PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Looks like I have a date for the first ever meeting of the DRPCC. March 21st in Oshawa. Anyone interested in joining the club or just coming out for a smoke would be more than welcome. Just PM me for details. Currently we have 4 people confirmed and ideally I'd like to get around 10 people to join. No fee but we will have raffle tickets for sale to great cigar and pipe prizes at the meeting. Hope to hear from a few more Durham Region pipe smokers.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Looks like we've got the inaugural meeting up to 7! So far only 2 pipe smokers, but we'll convert some I'm sure. Anyone planning on being in the Oshawa, ON area on the 21st let me know. I can't wait to have a smoke with others, that will be a first for me.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
Each year more and more pipe clubs are forming. The United Pipe Clubs of America (UPCA) would like to know how pipe clubs across the nation are organized and how they are operated whether they are affiliated with UPCA or not. We are requesting that you or someone in your club complete the online survey. The combined results of the survey will be made public. However, no specific club names or names of officers will be used. The anonymity of your club and its members may be assured. Only aggregated data will be presented. Further, please be assured that none of the information provided will be used by any other agent other than UPCA.
Please take the 2-3 minutes to complete the online survey at https://wilkes.us2.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9miQBR5xJBzSTn7 Note Question 7 does not work they way it should.
Thank you for your assistance with this project and good luck with your club.
Doc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha-ha, I thought you meant Durham, N.C. But I've been in your part of the country and it is lovely. Hope the club meeting goes well.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks MSO, the first mtg went really well and we seem to have a swell of support since, I'm hoping to double the size for the next meeting. I wish it was NC,it would be a hell of a lot warmer there!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hello folks, the next meeting of the Durham Region Pipe Club (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) is this Thursday night, April 25th from 7pm to 9pm. Anyone interested please PM me for details as Brian Levine mentioned in last weeks radio show, we're reluctant to reveal too many details in public. Hope to see you out if you're in the area!
Brian

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Peck, we'd love to have you out with us. Could finagle pick ups and drops off at the GO Train if that was interesting or convenient for you.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks guys. I may make it out there at some point, but not this one. I plan to go out to visit Michael Parks shop when the commissions he is working on for me are done. Maybe that will be the time. Have a good one - and post some pics.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Will do... can't wait to see pics of the Parks' commissions. One day I'll have a piece made by MP.
One needs to have something to aspire towards.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, I"m pretty stoked. For me he is working on three things - (1) a billiard and Canadian two pipe set in a custom box, (2) a long pencil shank blasted poker, and (3) he designed a pipe cabinet for me that his cabinet maker is working on.
I'm very excited. Suspect I won't see anything until after Chicago though. It seems as though all of the artisan pipe makers are hunkered down getting ready for the show (or at least that's my perception!)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wow Peck. That's an awesome line-up and certainly something to be excited about. I have a "thing" for Canadians from Canadian carvers... dumb? perhaps. but it's the little eccentricities that make life interesting.
I'm keeping one of the Canadians from the Trypis collection I scored recently, and have my eyes out for a Brigham (made in Canada) and a Blatter Bros. in the same shape.
Can't wait to see Michael Parks' approach to the poker.
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Michael was the one who said the second pipe should be a Canadian. He felt it was just appropriate.
I was in montreal two weekends ago on business. I really wanted to stop in at Blatter, but alas, I just didn't have time. Want to get there eventually.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Very nice, the owner of the place we meet is friends with Michael and has asked him to join us at one of the meetings, maybe the one in May will work and he can have your commissions ready?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I plan on making it out to Blatter at some point, I have family in the area and my daughter does competitive cheerleading so we have competitions there fairly regularly

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Well here we are. A month down the road from the successful first meeting of our fledgling pipe club.
In the last month brdavidson has firmly cemented our relationship with the local B&M who are super supportive. They've effectively become our first (and so far only) sponsor; by including mentions of our club night in their weekly newsletter, blocking our meeting night on their events calendar, and supporting us with the donation of gift certificates for our first ever raffle.
Last month we had seven happy smokers out for a couple hours of jawin' and puffin'. We're hopeful that we'll have a couple of new additions tonight as we table the, "What the hell should we call this club?" conversation.
Wish us luck, and if you're in the eastern GTA tonight around 7pm toss me a PM and we'll give you the secret knock for the clubhouse.
Many thanks to brdavidson for being the champion of this club.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there folks (posters and lurkers alike!).
The Durham Region Pipe & Cigar Club will be holding our next meeting on Thursday, May 30, at 7pm. If you're in the Greater Toronto Area and are looking for good coffee, reasonable conversation and the camaraderie of fellow puffers we'd be pleased to see you.
If you've never been out to one of our club nights, please toss me or brdavidson a PM for details.
Cheers,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.