PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
An earlier thread revealed there are myths and misunderstandings about the durability, density, moisture tolerance, etc. of briarwood. That got me to thinking so I read up a little on briar and went to the Janka Hardness Scale for wood. The Janka hardness for briarwood is measured at 2,090 lbf. This puts it in the category of Bubinga, Osage Orange and significantly higher in scale than white oak which measures at 1360 lbf. So, briar is not a soft wood by any means, and usually, the denser the wood the more durable and moisture resistant. Comparatively, Osage Orange, 2040 lbf, was used extensively in Texas and Midwest for fence posts and many are still in the ground and in use 100 years later. So, if you question the durability of briarwood... well, I just wouldn't worry much about it. Sure, pipes can crack, split and check, but these maladies are inherent in wood as hidden defects lie unseen in any wood all the way up to a super hard wood like lignum vitae. Black Frigate crew-- you just might have some of this wood on your trusty vessel :)
Consequently, I began to wonder if live oak could be used for pipe stummles. Its Janka value is 2680 lbf-- comparable to red mahogany and chestnut and not terribly hard to work as I've worked a bit of it myself. Live oak is not commercially available and to cut a live oak tree down around where I live requires a permit. Although, I have some live oak from my property that was a victim of Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. So, this leads me back to my topic title. Do you pipe artisans out there know of any reason why live oak couldn't be used for a pipe? Like I stated before I have some of this wood and the thought popped into mind that I'd love to have a commemorative pipe made from it. I know forum members georged, clickclick and zack are pipe makers and there's probably others, too. Do y'all think this could be a viable project and might one of you consider a commission? Thanks.

Eric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Woods alternate to briar have a long history. Some are suitable but few are comparable, it seems to me. But a trial run, or several dozen, are always of interest. Plain old maple and pear, though not up to briar durability, certainly serve the purpose. Mountain Laurel has proven out about as good as any, but hasn't gained the general usage, perhaps because of availability and the challenge of harvesting. I don't know if the market in tobacco pipes will support a whole new market in alternate woods, but again, the experiment is interesting. My go-to in-state carver also sold me a pipe done in Cocobolo, but I think the health aspects of actually working this wood might inveigh against it. Keep us posted on future efforts. Always an interesting idea.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Given that one of my pipes is still good at the age of 145 years, there's no reason to question the durability of briar. That said, there are silicates embedded in briar that contribute to it's resistance to burning and to soaking up moisture. It's not just a measure of density that's at work. Structural failures can happen because of hidden faults in a piece of wood, but they're mostly due to operator error, mostly caused by smoking way too hot, which leads to fissuring of the walls of the chamber.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The reasons briar is so preferential relate to its basic structure and composition. It's full of silicates so it's burn temperature is very high compared to other woods - it's literally more like rock. It is also less affected by hold/cot and wet/dry cycling, being not very porous and quite often having "tangled" grain. Briar is also treated to a boil/dry cycle which "sets" the wood, rendering it much less likely to move/twist with environmental changes. There's a fairly widely known (though older) paper on this.
https://pipedia.org/docs/CharacteristicsOfBriar.pdf
So this isn't a question of hardness, really, so much as a question of how does this stuff hold up to smoking? And the answer, as it has been for 150 years, is that briar beats the hell out of just about everything else, long term.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
No offense taken, sasquatch and the board has spoken. So long Katrina commemorative pipe project. Thanks to all for your input.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Live oak makes good brisket. Add a couple pecan logs to it and it makes better brisket....

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I hear ya bigtex! I used to think if it wasn't pork, it wasn't BBQ... until I had some Texas brisket. Don't get no better, brother.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Anthony, I was actually thinking about your new olive wood pipe and and the positive comments as to it's smoking qualities. Without question, briar is tops and while olive wood will not replace briar, it seems it may be a very acceptable alternative and mso comments about mountain Laurel are along the same lines. While I'm not arguing against briar or the sage advice above, I am curious about live oak's potential as an "acceptable" alternative if for no other reason than just to see if it works. Does anyone have experience concerning the longevity of olive wood? The Wood Database says olive wood "has high movement in service and is considered to have poor stability". Yet, it makes a decent smoking pipe but, the question remains, for how long.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I have never used anything but briar. However, Pipedia (linked to article) lists many. I am curious as Mountain Laurel is listed and I always thought it was toxic.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Oak, olive wood,and briar all have approximately the same amount of SiO2 (silica). Boiling oak for conditioning results in 20 percent shrinkage vs 4-5 percent for briar. Most morta wood is oak. The thought that the wood is "petrified" is inaccurate. But it is denser for many reasons including mineral deposition. There are many examples of oak pipes. I think finding a knot or burl could produce some beautiful wood for a pipe. The oak tannins may lend a bitter taste until cured but conditioning the wood and proper drying should take care of that. The ericads have similar issues and maybe that is why they are boiled.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I think the 'live oak project' is interesting. I would try it if I had a chunk of the wood. If a corn cob can make a pipe, I am sure a piece of live oak will work. I like odd things anyway...

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Hmmm, interesting information, doc. I'll have to explore the possibilities. Unfortunately, I have no burl and yes, that would be some pretty wood.
A while back you mentioned a job prospect in Mobile. Uni. South Alabama by chance? My son graduated from there and I was just curious. PM me if you like. Thanks for the SiO2 info, Charles.

Eric

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Eric, I see one flaw in your green oak pipe plan and that is shrinking and or warping as the wood dries out. That is why timber merchants season their planks either in the open air (preferred but takes longer) or in a kiln for long periods of time.
It would be heartbreaking to go to the trouble of carving a pipe only to have it split on its maiden outing.
Regards,
Jay.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Ha, no flaw here, Jay! :) The oak was a blow down from a hurricane in 2005 and was sawn into planks the same year so it's been seasoning for 12 years. Twelve years this month, come to think of it. Here's a tobacco tray I made from this same oak:
img_20170428_074907624-337x600.jpg

img_20170428_074445597-600x337.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Oh, that is very nice. Excellent idea too. I have some red cedar (actually juniper, local term is 'cedar') from the ozarks. I should make a nice tray like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.