Tags:  No tags yet. 

Duplex pipe loads

(11 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by jcosmoasp
  • Latest reply from captainbob
  1. jcosmoasp

jcosmoasp

Login to Send PM

Smoked my latest pipe for the second time tonight...a large freehand Ben Wade off eBay. For the second pipe, I loaded the bottom half with Bracken Flake, and the top half with Balkan Flake. Anyone else tried this? It was heavenly...

Bruce.

If you think you can or can't do something, you're right.
    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Bruce,
    I think you're the first guy I ever heard of having success with a tobacco parfait. God knows I've tried; but my mixes have never improved the smokes.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 9 years ago #
  3. highstump

highstump

Login to Send PM

Bruce, I have tried this several times with only one moderate success. Other than a few tobaccos I mix ahead of time (PA and 5100 is a great 50/50 mix, I will stick with one tobacco at a time.

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I want to try it but IMa scared!

I love Bracken Flake and just got a new tin of Balken Flake.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 9 years ago #
  5. jcosmoasp

jcosmoasp

Login to Send PM

I've been loading my Gawith Flakes (Bracken, Balkan) and the S.G. Kendal Brown #4 Finest Kendal Twist with more of a fold and twist, and topping them with Plum cake as tinder. It helps me get a quick, even toast and seems to light those "heavier" flakes. I've also done a Navy Flake topped with Balkan Sasieni, also with a good result. No real method to the combos here, just intuition.

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found this is a great way to smoke blends I'm not fond of.

I fill the top quarter pipe full of some blend like a sour english, and the last 3/4 with a fine Va flake.

By fighting my way through the first small part of the smoke, I find I enjoy the last part through delayed satisfaction.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I would rather wait 15 minutes, then smoke just the Virginia.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found this is a great way to smoke blends I'm not fond of.

Life is too short to smoke tobacco that I know I don't like.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always just mix the two or three tobaccos and smoke it as a mix. In the past, several Forums members have mentioned smoking good parfaits and said they did shift in the middle and deliver a separate taste. Don't remember who they were, but maybe they'll speak up. The review of the new blend Firestorm mentioned that it has a distinct shift as the bowl develops, without layering tobacco. Virginia, Perique and dark fired in there, and it develops toward the spicy.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had success with diluting Nightcap with 965 and I've played around with the parfiat method with some flakes with so-so results. I will say that I was doing this during the summer months when I was smoking outdoors and smoking more often. In the cold weather I stock to a bowlful of one single blend.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bruce,

I certainly respect your choice and I am pleased that it was so enjoyable for you! Call me a purist if you must, but I dedicate pipes to specific tobacco blends and/or Mixtures so as not to ghost my pipes or cause a confusing outcome of my choice smoke. On the other hand, I do allow some pipes for similar tobacco blends if not specific dedicated blends. I am careful with this, however. One thing that is helpful is that I have forty pipes and I do allow significant drying time between re-use. That is very helpful if experimenting. I also recommend that a pipe cleaner be used after every smoke. And, I always remove the pipe cleaner to allow the pipe to air dry. I have never been disappointed with this process. Thank you for your post. It is encouraging. Experiment and enjoy the discovery that awaits you!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipestud, jaytex969, sholto, elbert, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, jiminks, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, tuold, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd, ben88, cigrmaster, jrbjr