PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
At this point I'm reserving judgment and I won't call him by name, but this post might get to at least give me a private message.
In mid October, I worked out a trade with a " preferred " forum member. We agreed that I would trade a pipe for some tobacco. I emailed pictures of the pipe and he eagerly excepted the deal. I sent the pipe. And waited, and waited. He finally replies and says he didn't have the money for S&H. I haven't had a reply from him in two months. Am I jumping the gun? I understand the unexpected happens in life, but a simple PM is all I ask for. I suppose I'll chalk it up as a loss.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Can't scrape up $10 (probably less) to ship a box of tobacco? Or first class postage ($3.50 maybe?) to return your pipe? That's pretty weak. I call BS!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Sorry but no excuse for that. Things happen yes, sometimes jobs lost, need a new roof, medical bills, whatever. The point is there is no excuse for not keeping the other party informed. I have traded cigars for years and this has happened a few times and in all but two cases, the other party was up front and let me know what happened. Two months with no contact, totally unacceptable. I have even said to call it even based on the circumstances.
I'm sorry but this kind of thing really trips my trigger. Jumping the gun, probably not, a loss probably. I would of course send a couple of emails and even a letter if you have the addy. Before I write someone off I give them ample time to make good. I have an inherent trust of people until they prove me wrong.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Sorry but no excuse for that. Things happen yes, sometimes jobs lost, need a new roof, medical bills, whatever. The point is there is no excuse for not keeping the other party informed. I have traded cigars for years and this has happened a few times and in all but two cases, the other party was up front and let me know what happened. Two months with no contact, totally unacceptable. I have even said to call it even based on the circumstances.
I'm sorry but this kind of thing really trips my trigger. Jumping the gun, probably not, a loss probably. I would of course send a couple of emails and even a letter if you have the addy. Before I write someone off I give them ample time to make good. I have an inherent trust of people until they prove me wrong.
Sorry for the double post, I think the mouse is dying.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That doesn't sound right. If the weight isn't too heavy just send him a bunch of $2 stamps and a address label and see what happens. If that doesn't work then ask him what the deal is with him. Strangely I have never had any issues on the Universal Imports thread with anyone here on the forum regarding Brit tobacco shipments as everyone pays their bills on the nail. I guess thats because they know I won't supply anymore if they don't and everyone here has always been a gentlemen about settling up! I am very sorry to hear about this problem.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That's really out of order. There's no excuse for not manning up and explaining - unless he/she is unwell?
Andy

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I must admit I am a very trusting soul. And, I never learn my lessons.
Luckily, no one on this forum has burned me, and I am blind to the fact that because someone smokes a pipe, it doesn't mean that they are an honorable person.
Having said that, I believe you should contact him/her and at least offer to let him send your pipe back COD, if possible.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I think that he did you a favor by seeking a way out of the deal. Sounds like it would only get worse, the further in you got.
So, what you got to trade? What do want for it? I'll bet that you could swing an even better deal, right here, in the next hour or so.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
A member who would do a thing like that should not be on this form. I would tell who it was that way he will not have the chance to pull that on other member here at P.M.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My bad.

I did't see that you are out the pipe.
Sucks. Name names.
Let's call in the peasants with pichforks and torches.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
When a member does so, they are doing it at their own risk. PipesMagazine.com is not held responsible for any of the Buying, Selling, and Trading that goes on in this forum. The responsibility falls solely on the individuals that are doing the transaction. If someone does not honor their side of the transaction, you can post that they didnt. There is nothing that we can do if someone doesnt honor their side, so please do not complain to us about. Give the person ample time to honor their side and after all reasonable attempts to resolve the situation has failed, post who it was so others do not fall victim to them.
Kevin has already stated in the rules what to do so I wouldn't bother contacting him.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
He must be tarred and feathered, tied up and left in a corn field for the wolves. People like that just plain suck.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I agree. 99.9% of the forum members are honorable people. I've done many trades, more so on the DGCF forum, and all trades were exactly as agreed upon. I'll still withhold the name of member in question for now. I'm an optimist. If he had some bad times or situation, I'd feel like an ass for burning him. The funny thing is, when making the deal with him, I said since you're a preferred member and I'm still partly a new guy with less than a year on forum, I'll send the pipe first for you inspect and make sure you're happy with the trade. Ahh... sweet irony.
@andy

I know I'm personally responsible for all trades and sales. I'm not asking anything of Pipes Magazine. The post was a warning shot in hopes of a response to said member. I'm not angry. Just a little disappointed. I think I've been patient. I sent the pipe in October. I'll wait a couple weeks before dropping the name if I don't hear anything.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't go on a full out lynching yet, there are a few people on here that have pretty bad financial situations (disability etc..) and really don't have the money. I would give them some time to at least respond to this, there was a situation with the canadian box pass that all worked out well in the end. Life does throw some curveballs, he may just be ashamed now and you have to ask are you comfortable totally wrecking a guys self worth over it? I'd give a bit of time after this post to see what happens, then possibly name names. I have a feeling whoever it is actually is totally broke, I remember a few forum members like that.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I think you owe to everyone here to "name names". If it saves on child.....Seriously, I don't to get burned in a trade here. Every trade I've had on this forum have been effortless.
Mike S.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Always sad to hear about situations like this. I've sold a few pipes through this forum and so far so good. I don't think its naive to assume there's a brotherhood here of sorts which would prevent anybody from taking advantage of trust... But perhaps naive is the word. It's a sad commentary indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.